Chapter 3: Coffee & Convos

Rory's POV
The wedding was a smashing success. I could tell mom and Luke had a great time. I have to admit, it was pretty fun for me too. I always loved just sitting and talking to Jess. It was so easy and so natural to be around him. We've always understood each other so well, probably because we like the same things, but that makes talking very easy and fun for us. I have to say, he still knows how to surprise me like he used to when we dated. I got a whole new side of him tonight on the dance floor. I liked seeing him like that, fun, happy, and confident. It was nice dancing with him, I felt so safe and comfortable in his arms. Not to mention, his big brown eyes that I can't look away from. I have to admit, there was a moment when we danced, where all I could think about was kissing him. I doubt he would feel the same way though, it's been so long since we dated and to be honest, I don't really know how I feel about it. Maybe it was just the pregnancy hormones talking. We talked and laughed the whole night and he walked me to my house like a gentlemen. I invited him inside for coffee because we were having such a good time. We sat around my kitchen table with hot mugs of coffee in our hands.
"So, how's that book of yours coming along" Jess questioned.
"It's getting there, I am actually at the part where you're in it." I said a little nervous that he wouldn't want to be in the book. "As long as you're okay with being in the book?" I asked.
"Of course I am, I don't think I am necessarily story worthy, but anything to help your book, I am good with. I just hope I don't sound like too much of a dick" Jess said with a chuckle.
"No , actually you're more of the hero in my book" I replied.
"Really?" Jess said looking shocked.
"Yeah, I mean you've always been there for me, you've always pointed me in the right direction, I mean for heavens sake you are the person who got me to go back to Yale, I have a lot to thank you for." I responded.
"Ah that was nothin, it was all you, you just needed a little reminder" He said with a smile. I always loved his crooked smile, it was infectious just like his laugh.
"Rory, I have something I'd like to ask you" Jess said.
"Anything" I replied.
"How would you feel about me and my company publishing your book? I know it's early and it's a big decision, but I know you and I know whatever you're writing is gonna be great and I would love to be able to publish it. You obviously don't need to answer now—" Jess asked. He tried to go on but I quickly interrupted him.
"Yes." I stated.
"Yes?" he replied.
"Yes." I stated again.
"Just like that? Rory are you sure? You might get better offers" He questioned.
"I'm sure, there's no one I rather have publish this book. No one is going to understand it quite like you will. I would love for you to be my publisher." I said with a smile on my face.
"Now as your publisher, I will also be your editor so we will be working together a lot on this book so I'll probably stick around in town for a while, or at least until we've finished with the book" Jess stated.
"I am looking forward to seeing you as a town regular, now I am not the only one besides the 30 something gang returning to Stars Hollow" I said with excitement. It would be nice having Jess around, I didn't realize how much I missed him, but I really did. I looked over to the clock and to my surprise it was 4:34 am. We had stayed up all night talking. Jess could see me looking at the clock and looked stunned when he saw the time.
"Oh wow, 4:34 am, we stayed up almost as late as we did in the dance marathon" Jess laughed. "Well as much fun as I am having, I better get going." Jess said as he picked up his jacket and started heading for the door. I walked him to the doorway.
"Goodnight Rory" he said as he leaned in and kissed my forehead.
"Goodnight Jess" I said with a smile as he left. I really had a good time with him tonight. I felt like a teenager all over again until I was reminded by the fact that I was a pregnant 32 year old. At least Jess has given me a direction in my career. I would be lost without him...