YELLOW . risk

yellow is tricky in a deceptive way because it would be so easy to describe it as happiness when really it's much more. it is the color of trepidation, the catch in your voice as your stomach leaps into your throat when following them blindly in the deadest of nights, the color of the dim, hazy moonlight glowing just enough that you can grip their hand steadily. crumbling walls and cracked-out windows are dusted in it, plants peeking through broken foundations; the color of "success stories." it is really the color of all music; dips and crests and constant movement and constant creation. then is it music too, your laughter mixing and melding with theirs, hands held over cafe tables and eyes creasing at the corners? yellow is music as you define it because this embodies the color; yellow is flexible, it is malleable, it's bright and sometime's blinding but it is the color of the wildflowers woven atop your head and the color of the lights at your grandmother's house. it is whispers, never shouts, white-knuckle grips and secret smiles through tree branch-filtered starlight. it is leaps turning into bounds, hesitation in your eyes matched with a gleam of courage. yellow could be the color of happiness but it's not because it's more, much more — it's the color of risk.