Chapter 2: I Hear Pasadena's Nice

"So you're ghosts?" I ask Alex, "And you died in 1995?"

"Yeah," Reggie says with a smirk, "we did, or we are, or-"

Luke cuts him off, "Yeah, then we went to the dark room where Alex cried."

"Why do you keep bringing that up?" Alex says hitting Luke in the chest.

I giggle. Who knew ghosts could be so cute?

"Why can't you guys be normal ghosts? Hang out in an old mansion! I hear Pasadena's nice!" Julie yells as she heads towards the garage door. I run after her.

"Jules! You good? They were just trying to play again," I say reaching for her arm.

"Yeah I know but it's just my day kind of ruined everything for me," she says looking down. She turns around and Luke appears in front of her. "Ahhhhh! Stop that I'm serious!"

"I'm sorry," Luke says with a slight smirk.

"What do you want?" Julie asks in a disgusted tone.

"I know this is all completely insane," Luke pauses and glances at me, "but you do know how rad this is? People, actual people can hear us play!"

"Yeah." Julie says coldly. "It's just that I've had a really awful day, I gotta go," she says while she passes Luke. I am right next to him now. Close enough to touch him... if people could touch ghosts.

"Look, I'm sorry you had a bad day," Luke says looking at Julie, "but three guys just found out they had a bad 25 years. And then they found out that the one thing, the one thing that they lived for in the first place, they can still do," he then glances at me again with the most beautiful hazel eyes, "That's pretty rad."

"That's a good point, Jules," I look at her.

Julie sighs, "You're right, it's just-"

Luke cuts her off, "Your bad day," Julie nods, "yeah I know."

Julie looks down and Luke speaks, "I'm sorry we came into your guys' life," Jules and I look at him. I'm not sorry. I don't really know them that well and I don't know about her, "but what I just felt in there, made me feel alive again. We all felt alive again. So you can kick us out if you want but we aren't giving up music. We can play again! That's a gift no musician would ever turn down! You gotta know that," I start to nod in agreeance, "clearly your mom is into music."

I speak up, "Was, Luke. She passed away last year," I know that Jules can fight her own battles but I saw the tears collecting right under her eyes.

His focus was on me, but then he looked at Julie, "I am so sorry," he noticed the tears too.

"Yeah we didn't know," I hear a familiar voice say. I turn and it was Alex.

Julie sighs, "It's alright," which I know it isn't, "you guys haven't seen her anywhere have you?" she asks with hopeful eyes.

Alex shakes his head, "Um, no you're kinda the first people we've seen since the accident," there's a sympathetic look in his eyes.

"Yeah but they're not dead so that doesn't really answer her question," Reggie says moving his arms. Me and Julie giggle softly.

Alex scoffs, "Yeah I think they get it."

I look at Luke, "You guys are kinda good." 

He looks at me offended. "Kinda? You know that's just 25 years of rust being dusted off," when he says "dusted" he made a movement with his hands sliding off one another.

"Yeah," Reggie says looking at Julie and I, "do either of you play the piano?"

"I don't," I say smiling at him.

"Yeah neither do I. That was my mom's stuff in there," Julie lies.

I look at Julie. I guess her statement wasn't entirely a lie, but she knows how to absolutely shred. She hasn't done it since Rose got sick, but she used to play all the time.

"No way she's an amazing songwriter!" Luke says with a grin.

"She was," Jules and I both say.

"Wait how would you know?" she asks him, confused.

"There's a killer song on the piano. If it's hers, she's super talented!" He says responding to Julie.

Julie and I start walking away and I look back seeing the hurt and sadness of how much they've lost, so I nudge Julie. She turns around.

"If you guys need a place to stay. You could always stay in there. It was your studio first so I'm sure you guys know where everything is," She says with a half smile, looking at Alex and Reggie.

"I call dibs on the shower!" Reggie says holding up a finger. Everyone looks at him, "What? I like to shower! And sometimes the occasional bath."

"This is just too weird," Julie says waving her hands around.

I giggle, "Well goodnight boys, we have school tomorrow," I say as Julie starts walking away. I follow her. I look back to meet those same hazel eyes again.

We're in Julie's room and she's sitting on her bed. She bring out her phone and starts texting Flynn. She then realizes what she wants to say is way too insane. We both lay in her bed and drift off to sleep. I hear Julie's alarm go off, but I have my own set. She get's up way too early. I wake up when my alarm goes off and I get dressed in the clothes I had left over here last year. I walk outside to the porch to find Julie, because she wasn't in the house.

I see Ray and Carlos. I can hear piano playing. I could also hear singing. Then I realize it's Julie, "No way!"

I walk down the stone path to the garage and peak in. I see Julie playing with the boys behind her. She holds the last sheet of music to her chest and starts crying, so I walk towards her. Alex tries to give her a hug, but Luke stops him.

Flynn walks in also crying.