Chapter 11: Um Actually, We Prefer Musician Spirits

Julie opens the door after 30 minutes of practice, and I am right at her side.

"Thanks for coming," she says to Flynn, with a big smile on her face.

I look at her, "We just wanted to rehearse the song so it would be perfect, which it's not, but whatever."

Flynn looks at me and puts her pointer finger up, "No! If I'm gonna hear a song from your imaginary ghost band, it needs to be perfect. So get back in there," she points around to nothing, "all of you! You too," she points her finger at nothing again.

Julie and I share a snicker. Julie puts her arm back, inviting Flynn in, "They aren't out here."

Flynn walks past us, "Oh I know."

Julie closes the door, but Flynn goes and stands inside Reggie.

"Alright guys. You ready?" Julie looks around at Alex and Luke.

"Hey Flynn, can you sit down? Reg needs some room to rock out and he feels kinda weird walking through you," I'm trying to help Reggie out.

Julie goes over to her. She pulls a chair behind Flynn and forces her down, "If you notice, there is no equipment in here to produce a hologram. Feel free to look around."

I sigh, "The guys took a poem we wrote about how much we missed our friendship, and put it to music."

"Aww man! I wish I didn't have to talk to your parents after this," Flynn said rolling her eyes.

Julie walks over to her piano, "It's called Flying Solo... I hope you like it," she gives me a wink and I grab a mic.

During the song, there is a long space of time for the guys to just do instruments. Flynn walks over to Reggie and puts her hand through his shoulder, "They're ghosts!"

Everyone in the room shares a quick giggle, then Alex says, "Um actually, we prefer musician spirits."

Luke takes this opportunity to ask, "So girls, does this mean you'll join the band?"

A "Uhh-" comes out of Jules and I when Flynn puts her arms around our shoulders.

"Um actually. I think you guys are joining their band," she flips her hair.

"Yeah. I'm going to go with what she said," I say looking at Jules.

Luke meets my gaze and just starts shaking his head, smiling. The music picks back up again and we dance around in the small studio.

The music ends, "So," Julie looks at Flynn, "still wanna talk to our parents about this?"

Flynn glances at me, then looks at Jules, "Nah, I think I'm good."

"Hey Jules and I are actually working on our project and watching Beetlejuice over at my place if you wanna come? My mom is making lasagna!" I look at Flynn.

"Um heck yeah! You know that I love me some Italian food. And your mom's cooking!" Flynn looks back at me with a smile.

"Dang I wish we could eat!" Reggie says disappointed.

Julie and I giggle. We start to walk back towards my house when I remember, "Hey Jules! Um the whole reason we came back is to get your overnight bag..."

"Oh my gosh! I am so glad you remembered! I'll run up to the house to get it," Julie turns around and starts jogging towards the house.

Flynn looks at me and crosses her arms, "Okay. What is the deal with you and, what was his name Luke?"

"I uh," I rub the back of my neck, "there's nothing going on really." Flynn leaned more into her stance, "Okay fine! I like Luke. Is that what you wanted to hear?"

She nodded satisfied.

I heard a guy voice say, "Then you better be glad I'm not him." It was Reggie. Thank God.

"Reggie. Please don't tell Luke! We have such a good friendship and I don't want this to ruin that," I look at Reggie with pleading eyes.

"Yeah okay. I won't tell him... but I think you should. I'm no genius, but I think he likes you too," that's all he had to say. He poofed away.

Julie came running down the driveway, "What was that about?"

"Let's start walking so the guys don't hear," I wrap my arm around Julie's shoulder and Flynn is at her other side, I told her everything that had just happened.

"I can't believe I'm about to say this. But I think Reggie's right, he obviously has feelings for you too." Julie said to me as we walked into my house.

"You know what? Alex said something similar... about chemistry or something," I put my finger up to my chin, like I'm thinking.

"That's the only reason I knew!" Flynn was walking into the kitchen.

I hear a faint greeting from my mom, "It is something to think about, Y/N," Julie followed Flynn.

After dinner, Julie, Flynn, and I went up to my room. I restarted Beetlejuice and pulled out my pencils and pens for the project. Flynn sat on my bed, while Julie and I were at my desk, working. I hear a knock on the door, "Come in!" I say, expecting it to be my mom. Alex walks through the door.

"Oh hey Alex," Julie waves.

"What's up?" I ask.

"Oh I just wanted to come and have a girls night with you. Mainly watch Beetlejuice," Julie looked at him with her signature really face. "Okay fine! I want to talk about Y/N and Luke,"

I look up from what I was doing, "You what?" I pause the movie and stand up, facing him. Julie goes over to Flynn and whispers what's happening. "There really isn't a whole lot to talk about."

"Um, excuse me!" Flynn pipes up. "Yes there is. You don't see chemistry like that in just friends."

"Yeah I agree," Julie says quietly.

"But guys! We don't know if he feels the same about me that I do about him! And this crush thing isn't that big a deal," I cross my arms.

"Have you had a dream about him?" Julie asks, knowing that I did.

"Well yes, but-"

"No, no. Our turn," Flynn cuts me off, "Y/N... if you've had a dream about him it means that your subconscious goes to him."

"Well I've had a dream about my dead dad. He actually asked about the guys. It was freaky..." I look at the girls, sitting on my bed. "He's the one that instructed me how to touch you Alex," I turn to him, "and he also said that I was like my mom, I can see all ghosts, but I'm more powerful."

The room went silent. Nobody knew what to say. There was another knock at the door that made us all jump.