4.

I know I can be a smart ass. Sarcasm is a part of me. Inbuilt in my heritage as an Aussie.

Sometimes though, it can definitely be considered rude. However, I didn't think Ms Jenkins would dislike me that much that she wanted to remove me from her class.

"I spoke with your parents last week and the three of us think this would be best."

What? Mum and Dad didn't say anything about this to me.

"Oh. Uh, Ms Jenkins, I'm sorry if you think I've been rude to you. I never meant to offend you last week, I just really didn't want to talk about myself in front of people I didn't know."

"Oh, no. Leila, that's not it at all. Your parents and I feel that you would benefit from moving to our AP Lit class.''

''Oh. So I didn't offend you?''

''Not at all. On the contrary, you're one of my easy students. So, what do you say? Want to join me in my AP class?''

After asking Ms Jenkins what an AP class was, I politely declined.

I might not be as bored but by the sounds of it, I'd actually have to study and do school work. Been there, done that. Literally.

Ms Jenkins was nice about it, letting me know that I can always change my mind and start in 2nd semester after winter break.

Lunch arrives and I walk my way outside to the bleachers. I can feel those annoying butterflies flitting around my stomach. Reminding myself that Dani was super friendly and she wouldn't have invited me to sit with her if she didn't want me there, I pick up my pace.

''Hey doll. What took you so long?'' Dani was waiting for me, leaning against a tree.

''This school is HUGE! It takes me ages to get anywhere.''

''What was your old school like.'' she makes conversation as we stroll towards the fields.

''Smaller. WAY smaller. Like a half of the students and one large quad. Oh! Um, I need to ask you a question...but it's kind of odd."

"I love odd. Shoot."

"...how do you use a locker?"

You know, I'm always happy to make someone's day. By her loud laughter and crocodile tears, I think I've made Dani's.

"Oh doll. That's hilarious." She wipes away her non-existent tears. She lets me know that her locker is close to mine so she will take me on a tour later. Heading up the bleachers I take a seat in front of Dani. Turning my hips so I'm facing the group of girls, I bring my leg up, bending my knee to rest in front of me.

"Girls, this is Leila. She's the new girl from Australia. Leila, the girls." She gestures to the beautiful people. I attempt to remember everyone's name but by the 4th introduction, I'm lost. I'm good with faces, not names.

I learn that this clique are all in the cheer squad. No wonder they all look fit. Most of them fulfill the 'traditional' look of a cheerleader. Makeup, hair, tight outfit. Some of them, like Dani, have ventured out by not wearing full eye makeup and have on looser yet stylish outfits.

Regardless of their vanity preferences, they all seem really nice. That's really all I care about.

"So how you finding Austin." One of the pretty blondes asks.

I'm about to answer when Dani responds, "She finds it uneventful. We need to change that girls, don't we." Sending me a big grin and a wink.

"Well she's not wrong." I think her name is Sandy. This girl has the look of an ethereal angle. Light blonde hair, pink lips, blue eyes with long slender fingers. Petit. I bet she would be so easy to throw.