𝟓. 𝐢𝐯𝐚𝐫 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐚𝐧𝐠𝐞𝐫 𝐢𝐬𝐬𝐮𝐞𝐬

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟓; 𝐢𝐯𝐚𝐫 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐚𝐧𝐠𝐞𝐫 𝐢𝐬𝐬𝐮𝐞𝐬
(𝗌𝖾𝖺𝗌𝗈𝗇 𝗂𝗏, 𝖾𝗉 𝗑𝗑 - '𝗍𝗁𝖾 𝗋𝖾𝖼𝗄𝗈𝗇𝗂𝗇𝗀')

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐏𝐄𝐎𝐏𝐋𝐄 𝐀𝐑𝐎𝐔𝐍𝐃 𝐒𝐈𝐆𝐘𝐍 𝐃𝐀𝐍𝐂𝐄𝐃 smiled and feasted in the large banquet available to them, yet Sigyn herself had no desire to do the same

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐏𝐄𝐎𝐏𝐋𝐄 𝐀𝐑𝐎𝐔𝐍𝐃 𝐒𝐈𝐆𝐘𝐍 𝐃𝐀𝐍𝐂𝐄𝐃 smiled and feasted in the large banquet available to them, yet Sigyn herself had no desire to do the same. Yes, they had come out victorious from their battles, but, to Sigyn, there was only grief. If it was up to her, the young shieldmaiden would have stayed inside her tent allowing sadness to swallow her, but Hvitserk had other plans for her. The Ragnarsson easily carried her all the way to a table and sat her there placing a plate filled with meat in front of her. Sigyn looked like a ghost in the middle of several lively people, she felt like one too. King Harald Finehair and his brother, Halfdan, each took a seat by her side and engaged in conversation with her to which she only nodded briefly. They offered their condolences for her mother's death, but that wouldn't bring her back — all Sigyn wanted was to have her mother back.

The sound of a horn made Sigyn — and everyone else — look at the Ragnarssons' table where Bjorn stood up to make a toast. Sigyn didn't care. The words being uttered by the eldest son of Ragnar sounded all blurry and far away as the girl played with the food on her plate. It didn't take a genius to realize how devastated she was. From his seat at the table with his brothers, Ivar watched Sigyn as if she would break at any moment and he hated that Hvitserk was doing the same. Since when had his brother taken an interest in Sigyn anyway?

"Skol!" Bjorn raised his cup and everyone else did the same.

"I will be here, but not to settle down and plow!" Ivar shouted suddenly after Bjorn sat back in his seat. Between watching Sigyn and glaring at Hvitserk, the cripple had paid attention to small bits of his eldest brother's speech and mostly thought it was pathetic. "Who wants to be a farmer now? Hmm? We have a great army and we should use it! There are many other places that I want to attack and raid! And those of you who feel like I do, you should come with me. And those of you who don't, ask yourself, who can stand in our way now?'

Ivar's words brought up many cheers from the crowd, as well as Sigyn's attention. The brothers were speaking quietly at their table, but the boat builder's daughter was observant enough to know they were arguing. It made her thankful for not having many siblings to disagree with.

"Who among you will follow me?" the youngest son of Ragnar continued standing from his chair as best as he could,  not caring about the warning he had just received from his brothers. "Who will follow me into battle, for the love of fame and for the love of Odin, our All-Father?"

"Yeah!" the crowd shouted in encouragement and support. "Odin!"

"Don't do this, Ivar." Sigurd warned his brother that sat at the opposite end of the table from him. "We are all the sons of Ragnar. We have to stick together."