𝟔. 𝐚𝐧𝐨𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫 𝐩𝐮𝐧𝐜𝐡 𝐨𝐧 𝐬𝐢𝐠𝐲𝐧'𝐬 𝐠𝐮𝐭𝐬

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟔; 𝐚𝐧𝐨𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫 𝐩𝐮𝐧𝐜𝐡 𝐨𝐧 𝐬𝐢𝐠𝐲𝐧'𝐬 𝐠𝐮𝐭𝐬
(𝗌𝖾𝖺𝗌𝗈𝗇 𝗏, 𝖾𝗉 𝗂 - '𝗍𝗁𝖾 𝖿𝗂𝗌𝗁𝖾𝗋 𝗄𝗂𝗇𝗀')

𝐈𝐕𝐀𝐑 𝐖𝐀𝐒 𝐃𝐎𝐍𝐄 𝐖𝐈𝐓𝐇 the dirty looks he was receiving from his brothers — and even from some random people around their camp

𝐈𝐕𝐀𝐑 𝐖𝐀𝐒 𝐃𝐎𝐍𝐄 𝐖𝐈𝐓𝐇 the dirty looks he was receiving from his brothers — and even from some random people around their camp. Why couldn't they understand that he didn't mean to kill Sigurd? They were all there when his brother started insulting him. Did they expect Ivar to react lightly to having his brother humiliate him in public? Why couldn't anyone ever see from Ivar's point of view? Perhaps what hurt more from Sigurd's words was that they were mainly truth, or at least they were the things Ivar was most insecure and scared about being true.

Tired of wasting his time with people who only judged him, Ivar took his chariot to where Floki was working. The boatbuilder never treated Ivar like the cripple others saw him as, instead, Floki took Ivar under his wing and taught him everything he knew about the gods and their culture as well as caring for the youngest Ragnarsson as if he was his own flesh and blood. Ivar was thankful for that.

"Floki!" the young man called the boatbuilder after he got out of his chariot and began to crawl closer to him. "Why are you building a toy boat?"

"It's not a toy." Floki answered without turning to look at the youngest Ragnarsson, too busy cutting a rope. "It's a one-man boat. I don't need the help of anyone to sail it."

"And where do you think you're going to sail it to?"

"To where the gods decide." the older man replied nonchalantly.

Ivar pursed his lips and looked around with furrowed eyebrows. He couldn't let the boatbuilder go. "I don't want you to go." the cripple admitted. "I still need you in the fight against the Christians. My brothers are too soft and you know that Floki." his argument didn't faze the man, who barely spared a glance in his direction and kept tying the wood of his boat. "Please?" the young man pleaded reluctantly. "You know that you're like my real father."

Floki sighed, finally stopping his work to focus on the boy. "No." he stood from his spot and stepped closer to Ivar, still up in what would soon turn to be a perfectly crafted boat. "Your real father was Ragnar Lothbrok. The most famous man in the world. Don't you ever forget that, Ivar. Or the gods will punish you. Now let me get on with my boat." once again Floki tried to focus on his work instead of the boy and turned to go back to what he was doing.

Ivar's day went from bad to worse. Not only did his brothers hate him, but now the only person whom he felt close to was about to go away. "You cannot leave me." the cripple blurted out, desperate to change Floki's mind. "My brothers..." he sniffled but tried to cover it by clearing his throat. "They don't believe that I didn't mean to kill Sigurd, but I didn't want to. He was my brother. Hmm? That is why you cannot leave." this time the boatbuilder decided to approach the broken boy who was asking him to stay. "I will be too lonely."