𝟗. 𝐥𝐞𝐭 𝐢𝐭 𝐛𝐞 𝐦𝐚𝐲𝐡𝐞𝐦

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟗; 𝐥𝐞𝐭 𝐢𝐭 𝐛𝐞 𝐦𝐚𝐲𝐡𝐞𝐦
(𝗌𝖾𝖺𝗌𝗈𝗇 𝗏, 𝖾𝗉 𝗂𝗂 - '𝗍𝗁𝖾 𝖽𝖾𝗉𝖺𝗋𝗍𝖾𝖽' & 𝖾𝗉 𝗂𝗂𝗂 - '𝗁𝗈𝗆𝖾𝗅𝖺𝗇𝖽')

𝐇𝐄𝐋𝐆𝐀'𝐒 𝐃𝐄𝐀𝐓𝐇 𝐒𝐓𝐈𝐋𝐋 𝐖𝐀𝐒 𝐀 fresh wound carved deep within Sigyn's core and Floki's decision to leave with no intention of ever coming back only made this wound bleed more

𝐇𝐄𝐋𝐆𝐀'𝐒 𝐃𝐄𝐀𝐓𝐇 𝐒𝐓𝐈𝐋𝐋 𝐖𝐀𝐒 𝐀 fresh wound carved deep within Sigyn's core and Floki's decision to leave with no intention of ever coming back only made this wound bleed more. Losing one's parents is hardly something someone can get over easily. The very reason Sigyn and her people were currently in Wessex was that the sons of Ragnar wanted to avenge their father's death. The boatbuilder's daughter would've gathered an army to avenge her mother's death as well if she could, but Helga was murdered by the Mediterranean girl she adopted.

Tanarus pierced a dagger on Helga's chest without a second thought and then did the same to herself. Sigyn wouldn't ever be able to avenge her mother's death because there wasn't much to avenge anyway. A scared little girl killed the woman who took her from her home. It was a consequence of Helga's actions that got her killed. Sigyn blamed the gods for making Tanarus and her mother's paths cross, but she couldn't blame the Mediterranean girl for doing what she thought she had to do in order to protect herself.

Now that Floki was gone, Sigyn was unsure of what she should do with herself. For as long as the young woman could remember her main goal was to make her father proud, to prove she hadn't been born with the purpose of bringing torment to his and Helga's lives. Floki had finally admitted what Sigyn spent her life wanting to hear — he was proud of her and she wasn't a bad omen to their family —, but it wasn't enough to make the grief disappear. The shieldmaiden feared that grief would be a constant in her life from now on. 

Trying to numb the pain of her losses, Sigyn ended up giving in to Hvitserk's flirtatious innuendos only to find out that his skin or hers worked as a remedy for the grief consuming her. He was the distraction she needed to escape her fears. The only problem was how addictive the feeling provided by being with him was. The shieldmaiden didn't like the idea of depending on someone else to feel better yet this didn't stop her from welcoming Hvitserk in the room she had taken for herself while in York time and time again. Nor did it stop her from accepting his kisses while they were out hunting with Ubbe.

When the older Ragnarsson suggested they should go in separate ways hoping this would result in all three of them catching more animals, he didn't expect to reunite with his brother and friend and have them say they caught nothing. Ubbe scoffed taking in their states, Sigyn had leaves on her hair and her clothes were a mess as were his brother's, who, by the way, had a smug grin decorating his face. 

The three then returned to the settlement bringing with them only a goose and two rabbits Ubbe caught — at least they weren't completely empty-handed, Hvitserk had joked on the way back. It didn't take long to reach their temporary residence, the streets were busy, as usual, with people striding around engaging in various tasks. The trio noticed a commotion around the blacksmith's workshop and approached to see what was happening.