𝟏𝟎. 𝐛𝐫𝐨𝐤𝐞𝐧 𝐛𝐫𝐨𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐡𝐨𝐨𝐝

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟎; 𝐛𝐫𝐨𝐤𝐞𝐧 𝐛𝐫𝐨𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐡𝐨𝐨𝐝
(𝗌𝖾𝖺𝗌𝗈𝗇 𝗏, 𝖾𝗉 𝗂𝗂𝗂 - '𝗁𝗈𝗆𝖾𝗅𝖺𝗇𝖽')

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟎; 𝐛𝐫𝐨𝐤𝐞𝐧 𝐛𝐫𝐨𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐡𝐨𝐨𝐝(𝗌𝖾𝖺𝗌𝗈𝗇 𝗏, 𝖾𝗉 𝗂𝗂𝗂 - '𝗁𝗈𝗆𝖾𝗅𝖺𝗇𝖽')

"𝐇𝐄𝐋𝐋𝐎, 𝐒𝐈𝐆𝐘𝐍." Ivar leaned on his crutch and stared down at the shieldmaiden sitting at a table inside the Christian church that had become their great hall. The cripple loved that he was now able to look down at people.

She looked away from her meal and narrowed her emerald eyes at him. "You have a creepy look on your face" she noted. "What are you up to, Ivar?"

The cripple shrugged casually. "I'm just wondering if you know where my brothers are."

"I'm not their keeper, Ivar." Sigyn scoffed and turned back to the food in front of her, but before she took a bite of the chicken on her plate, she grumpily granted Ivar an answer. "Why, in Odin's name, would I know where they are? I haven't seen them since I went to sleep last night."

"Not even Hvitserk?"

"No." the shieldmaiden glared at the Ragnarsson who only smirked knowingly in return. "What's with the questions?"

"Just needed some confirmation that my brothers are truly fools." he replied cooly.

"You think they've gone to negotiate with the Christians?" Sigyn frowned putting to gather what he meant, but surely the two couldn't be that stupid.

Ivar laughed dryly. "Oh, I'm sure."

༻✵༺

𝐔𝐁𝐁𝐄 𝐀𝐍𝐃 𝐇𝐕𝐈𝐓𝐒𝐄𝐑𝐊 𝐂𝐎𝐔𝐋𝐃, 𝐈𝐍 𝐅𝐀𝐂𝐓, 𝐁𝐄 𝐓𝐇𝐀𝐓 𝐒𝐓𝐔𝐏𝐈𝐃. The two left York before dawn heading to the Saxons' camp where they were sure they'd be able to negotiate a fair deal. However, all the brothers got from their visit to the Christian were several bruises and cuts all over their bodies. It was already night when they managed to get back to the Heatheans' headquarters and Ivar had waited all day to tell them how had right he had been about how much of a useless idea it was to negotiate with their enemies.

"Welcome back, brothers." the cripple greeted with smugness dripping in his tone. He loved to be right and, luckily for him, he often was. "Oh, you look thirsty! Are you thirsty?" the men around them chuckled at the way the youngest Ragnarsson teased his older brothers. "I know you shouldn't say 'I told you so', but I told you so."

Ubbe kept his head low much like Hivtserk in the seat next to his, he tried explaining his actions to his younger brother. "Ivar, we went..."

"No, no, no. Let me guess." the Boneless interrupted. "You went to the Saxons and tried to make a deal. They spoke sweet words to you. Hmm?" he chuckled, truly amused by how naive his brothers were. Of course, the Christians wouldn't think twice about making the two brothers suffer they were part of the army that invaded their land and murdered their people. The only sweet moment the Ragnarsson had during their brief stay in the enemy's camp was the seconds between each punch they received from soldiers. "But of course you were brave." the sarcasm was dripping from his tone. "You fought back." he let out a loud laugh this time and the heathens standing around the great hall did the same. "You fought back, right? You didn't let them get away with that. Huh?"