𝟏𝟓. 𝐦𝐚𝐲 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐠𝐨𝐝𝐬 𝐡𝐚𝐯𝐞 𝐦𝐞𝐫𝐜𝐲

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟓. 𝐦𝐚𝐲 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐠𝐨𝐝𝐬 𝐡𝐚𝐯𝐞 𝐦𝐞𝐫𝐜𝐲
( 𝗌𝖾𝖺𝗌𝗈𝗇 𝗏, 𝖾𝗉 𝗏𝗂𝗂𝗂, 𝖾𝗉 𝗂𝗑 & 𝖾𝗉 𝗑 )

 𝐦𝐚𝐲 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐠𝐨𝐝𝐬 𝐡𝐚𝐯𝐞 𝐦𝐞𝐫𝐜𝐲( 𝗌𝖾𝖺𝗌𝗈𝗇 𝗏, 𝖾𝗉 𝗏𝗂𝗂𝗂, 𝖾𝗉 𝗂𝗑 & 𝖾𝗉 𝗑 )

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐂𝐈𝐕𝐈𝐋 𝐖𝐀𝐑 𝐖𝐀𝐒 𝐀𝐁𝐎𝐔𝐓 𝐓𝐎 𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐏𝐄𝐍. Yellow and blue flags once again stood on opposite sides. Now, however, the tension was even thicker. The sound of the battle drums only increased the chills running through Sigyn's spine. It wasn't right, they shouldn't fight their own — yet there they were. It was things like that which made Sigyn even more certain in believing that fate wasn't all that real, after all, how could the gods be so cruel to make their subjects destined to murder their own kin? Those had to be decisions taken by free will. Humans hardly need the gods' help in order to commit atrocities anyway.

Ivar decided to split their army once he began to grow suspicious that their opponent could've planned something. The cripple was to leave for their camp with a small force, to protect the ships they couldn't afford to lose. Hvitserk, then, would venture into the forest with some soldiers and they would try and outflank their opponents by dividing their army. Meanwhile, King Harald and Sigyn remained at the main battlefield under the furious gaze of Bjorn Ironside. The eldest Ragnarsson was once a dear friend of the boatbuilder's daughter, now they were mere acquaintances and she knew he wouldn't hesitate to strike at her should they meet on the battlefield.

Once the leaders declared it was time to attack, everything became a blur to Sigyn. To her, fighting was an out-of-body experience really, the shieldmaiden entered a zone where her usual righteous and self-restraint personality no longer existed. It was either kill or be killed. Thankfully, this high from the battlefield made it easy for her to ignore the known faces of her countrymen and women she inevitably put down — which didn't mean she wouldn't hate herself for it later.

The screams along with the sounds of metal clashing were chaotic and near deafening, yet disturbingly calming to Sigyn. She could let her anger take place, no logical thoughts, no consequences. It was war. War doesn't care, so why should Sigyn? The young woman skillfully took down every and each person who came at her, her face was already covered in blood much like her sword and axe. The number of people around her was overwhelming and claustrophobic but she pushed through, gaining enough space to see clearly around her.

Bjorn remained still with a group of his soldiers behind him, meanwhile, King's Harald forces were already entirely on the battlefield. That couldn't be good, Sigyn quickly gathered. As if on cue, Lagertha appeared from the trees with the rest of her army behind her. She was coming from the back of Harald's troops. They were now surrounded. With Bjorn's group finally charging at them, their odds weren't looking much promising.

Sigyn made eye contact with King Harald, both having the same thought but she was the one to voice it. "We're going to lose!"

"Blow the horn!" the man cried out as more and more people tried to strike at him. "Summon Ivar!"