epilogue

⊱ ━━━━.⋅ εïз ⋅.━━━━ ⊰

6.02
( how long did you stand in front of the mirror? )

02( how long did you stand in front of the mirror? )

⊱ ━━━━.⋅ εïз ⋅.━━━━ ⊰

BUCKY SET Nova down gently, before turning around to inspect the wounds on her back. "You know it's probably healed right?" she asked.

"Right sure, yeah, there's totally not a big open cut on your back," he retorted. She huffed, tapping on the necklace around her neck which caused her cape to appear again and cover her up. "Hey!" Bucky exclaimed.

"It'll heal on it's own, let it be," she grumbled, leaning onto the ambulance on her side.

They turned as they heard some commotion to find Sam flying down gracefully with Karli laying limp in his arms. Bucky mirrored Nova's previous actions and leaned onto the ambulance next to him, listening to Sam speak to the senators.

"Are you still going forward with resetting the borders?" he asked them after laying Karli's dead body down onto a stretcher.

"Our peacekeeping troops will begin relocating people soon. The terrorists only set us back a bit."

"You have to stop calling them terrorists," Sam sighed.

"What else would we call them?"

"Your peacekeeping troops carrying weapons are forcing millions of people into settlements around the world, right? What do you think those people are gonna call you? These labels, "terrorists", "refugee", "thug", they're often used to get around the question, why?"

"Those settlements that happened five years ago, do you think it is fair for governments to have to support them?"

"Yes," Sam dead panned.

"And the people who reappeared only to find someone else living in their family home, they just end up homeless? Look, I get it. But you have no idea how complicated this situation is."

"You know what? You're right. And that's a good thing. We finally have a common struggle now. Think about that. For once, all the people who've been begging, and I mean, literally begging for you to feel how hard any given day is... now you know. How did it feel to be helpless? Now if you could remember what it was like to be helpless and face a force so powerful it could erase half the planet, you would know that you're about to have the exact same impact. This isn't about easy decisions, Senator," Sam said to them.

"You just don't understand," the senator insisted.

"I'm a Black man carrying the stars and stripes. What don't I understand?" he scoffed. "Every time I pick this thing up, I know there are millions of people out there who are gonna hate me for it. Even now, here... I feel it. The stares, the judgment. And there's nothin' I can do to change it. Yet, I'm still here. No super serum, no blond hair, or blue eyes. The only power I have is that I believe we can do better. We can't demand that people step up if we don't meet them halfway," he stated, looking around.