Chapter 9

And I know that there'll be a moment,
The good Lord calls one of us home and,
One won't have the other by their side.

 * * *

Robin loves cooking, but with military schedule, sometimes, she doesn't get to fulfill what she loved to do daily, like today when she got off her shift early because soldiers in the military were extra nice today. There weren't trainees fighting in the mess hall, the officers didn't ask for anything weird, Captain Marshall wasn't there to make her head hurts so her report was easy today.

It was quiet in the house so she took some time to prepare for the ingredients in quietness, but by the time Pepper entered their house, she was already starting with the main food.

"Just put them there, Happy. Thanks." As directed, Happy put Pepper's laptop bag on the sofa in the living area before leaving while Pepper set her handbag on the bar, joining Robin in the kitchen. She sighed heavily.

"Want some water?" Robin offered as she studied the crinkle of exhaustion on Pepper's forehead.

Pepper nodded her head. "Yes, please," she said wearily. She grabbed the tall, expensive glass and took a big gulp of the water so fast like she hadn't seen water for a long time. "Oh, that's– that's relieving."

Robin chuckled as she watched her brother's secretary. "Rough day?"

"Ever since Tony announced that Stark Industries is no longer manufacturing weapons, the stocks went wildly down. Like you wouldn't believe it could happen to Stark Industries."

"Up to 60 percent now?"

"Yes!" Pepper sighed in frustration. "Tony refused to take part of his own company. All he does was whatever he is doing right now in his workshop and I'm here, running his company like my own. And did you know that he built an iron suit? I stumbled into him few days ago and there were bullet holes on it. Literally."

"Obidiah is not any help for you?" Robin saw the steaming soup in the pot beside her. The smell of it travels through her nose, causing her to smile. She's proud of herself.

"Obidiah. Ugh!" Pepper looked miserable. "He has his own agenda as well. I don't know what, but there's something not right with him, too. Every time I came into his office room, he look suspicious."

"I told Tony that I have a bad feeling with whatever happened to him in Afghanistan. I don't know why I feel like OB has got something to do with it."

"You think Obidiah is betraying Tony?"

Robin shook her head. "I don't know."

Pepper nodded her head, but refused to voice out her opinion because she refused to take part of it. Obidiah is the Stark family friends, and kind of her boss, too, but no she won't get involved in the family rivalry. "You and Tony okay?"

Pepper felt like the blood drained from her face, shocked with the question.

"Is there something happening between you and my brother?" For as long as she knew Robin, Pepper still felt strange that Robin still managed to speak softly to people since she knew how the military works. "I can feel the tension when you two are in the same room."

"N-No? No. There is definitely nothing happening between–"

"Okay. If you say so," Robin cut her off and continued talking about other issues while Robin continues cooking for dinner.