Chapter Twenty-Eight; The startling realisation

In the wake of Mother Miranda's scrutiny and warning, the Beneviento residence remained unheard of in the castle, even when dinner was served. In a quaint corner of her rickety, looming abode, Donna Beneviento swayed in a rocking chair on rugged carpet and childishly dented the wallpaper behind. Angie limply slumped like the lifeless doll she became without her master's control—or that's what some believed—and, unconsciously, Donna stroked her little wedding dressed figure. Her absent gaze flittered the barren scape of white, specks and dustings sometimes obscuring the view but she chose to not move...she was afraid she might cry.

A little bobbing light seared through the gloom, thrice face-planting in mounds of snow and Donna perked, Angie lolling in her lap like a disgruntled cat, roused too early from its slumber. Her faint facial features, as elegant as her surrounding dolls, creased gently and she rose from the rocking chair, shuffling to the front door.

Originally, there was no soul to welcome; as there shouldn't be considering the recent Miranda imposed rules. She waited, Angie, the forever selfish malice, whinging at the wind.

"Hang on, I know I saw something!" Donna exclaimed, the cool breeze hitting the roof of her mouth unpleasantly. The wobbling light arose from snowy depths and staggered to her feet. A lantern shattered into pointy fragments and the beholder briefly caught alight.

"Shit, shit, shit!" Ethan Winters cussed, desperately drowning his hand in the cold. Donna stood and watched, dumbfounded by his mere presence until he properly greeted her and came inside. "I didn't know how to get to you through the tunnels!"

"You still shouldn't have been out so late!" She fretted, gripping at her hair like the metal man did to himself; their sisterly/brotherly bond expressed its true colours through frustrations at Ethan. "What if someone saw you?"

"No one did," he heartened, touching her hands. "I just...I just really need your help, please. I think I fucked up—"

"Where's Kar?" She alarmingly noticed, head flinging around; he wasn't hard to miss. Ethan slunk into his shoulders at the remembrance of poisoning Heisenberg.

"Asleep..." he paused and rubbed a hand through his hair, baring his teeth. "Very asleep."

Donna cocked her head and made a sweet little sound of realisation which quickly turned into disgust, Ethan nodding as way of confession. Her eyes narrowed in a ponder and body language suggested she was closing in at the mere thought of returning to the castle. She drooped her head.

"I'm sorry that I could not bring Rose any medicine," she lamented, a cool hint to her tone. Donna's slender fingers groped at her arms and Ethan approached cautiously, asking if she were alright as she was overwhelmed with a sudden fragility. "They yelled at me each time I was caught...it just got worse..."

"Did they hurt you?" Ethan asked with a mild concern burning up his throat.

She shook her head, loose hair flailing over her face. "We need Kar, Ethan! He's big and brave! We need Kar!" She appeared angry, the red blush of her skin flashing fiercely at him. "But if you've done something to him—"

"I didn't hurt him, Donna. I just didn't want him to go in!" He gently snapped but more to himself.

"I know you wouldn't! I might not know exactly but I have an idea of what you two are to each other...I just don't get why you would deflect him trying to help," Donna exasperated, gesturing her hands. OK, it was very clear now; Donna was mad. She had every right to be if it was at me.

Ethan couldn't help but take himself to a corner and brace his body against the wall, forehead lightly tapping it. Stupidstupidstupid. His friend...his metal lover...was just trying to help but Ethan's humanness, his ichor, persisted over what was steely and brave. In actuality, he should've allowed Heisenberg to go.