Chapter Thirty-One; Redfield's impending carnage

To say it was a bewilderment would've underrated the problem Chris faced...more so stood in the middle of, mouth agape like a bumbling fool and fingers flexed like his veiny neck.

"Base isn't going to believe this," his woman friend and Tundra to the Hound Wolf Squad, Emily, commented. She posed in waiting, like the rest, for even just the smallest order. Their Alpha stood paralyzed with incredulity, breathing hard and grip shaking around the phone. She touched his hand and shook her head, her comrades agreeing that calling Kennedy now would not change anything.

"I don't understand," he finally snarled, jaw wiggling tightly and his posture becoming jaunt. "Ethan wandered into the heart of that bitch Miranda and smite her...was that not supposed to work?!"

His squadron cowered, confused on who this new Chris Redfield was.

"We need to make a move now, sir," Canine Dion explained, firmer than the rest despite his rank. Chris broke into a pace, agitating the impatience they all endured. "Sir—"

"Can't a man think for a damn minute?" Chris roared, hands rubbing through his short hair and then scraping his chin. His lips pursed; eyes locked yet again on the standing castle which he swore he watched tumble into oblivion. He squinted, as if trying to see through all those walls and penetrate the chambers, searching with bloodlust for signs of life. They weren't that far off now; give or take another half-hour and they'd be pounding on the front gate.

He was at a fork in the road; to know or remain oblivious. Rose might've been dragged there, nails scraping and head flailing in an effort to escape. Fuck, that was so wrong of me. Should've, could've, would've, the trio of words rushed cruelly through his mind.

Should've listened to Kennedy.

Could've protected Rosemary Winters from BSAA'S clutches.

Would've been in a healthy, happy relationship. Hell, even marriage!

Chris Redfield wouldn't have been standing there, in the snowy mounds whilst his team crouched uncomfortably; their legs bent and curled, minds alight with the possibilities of BSAA getting them in big trouble. Come on, Redfield, make the damn decision.

His shoulders rolled back, the brawn of hard-earned muscle rippling beneath his coat and the tactile gear strapped over his heart wheezed at his stretch. His normal, more casual demeanor returned, and he pivoted gently, fingers raised in demanding direction. "We continue North, lest any of you have better ideas."

They eagerly pounced up at the opportunity to move and the Alpha led his pack into the thick and violent decent of the village meant to be dead.