Chapter 1

Lights, glamour and dazzle.

The New York Fashion Week arrived with all its might in the season of Fall. Just as the leaves withered and fell to the land that gave it birth, the one-week fashion show ended as quickly as it started. Designers from all over the world came together to Skylight Clarkson Square for the biggest week for fashionistas like themselves where they could show their works with pride and joy.

Among them was one particular woman that was envied by most for their gorgeous designs and humble nature. "Miss Hayley Chen! Miss Hayley Chen!" The Chinese-American designer was rounded by reporters from various magazines - Vogue, Vanity Fair, Time, Rolling Stone - you name it.

"One question at a time please," she replied in a calm voice, knowing that patience was the virtue that she would have to cherish her entire life.

All she wanted was to go home and rest her eyes for a while, if a while was even possible. The week had taken all her energy from her but the results were quite fascinating. She had managed to secure various deals with a lot of people that she only could have dreamt working with - Vogue. The deal went by so quickly that it still seemed surreal to her. 

"Miss Chen, you are an upcoming designer with only one shop that is always filled. What would you associate your success to?"

Hayley smiled the one smile that she had practiced a thousand times standing in front of a mirror. "It's all about dreaming."  The irony hidden behind her answer would only be known to her.

Camera clicks went off everywhere in front of her and it took everything in her to not have black spots dance before her eyes. Trying not to look directly at the black lens' staring at her, she answered the questions as quickly as she could. Finally, Shah, the bodyguard that Vogue had hired on her behalf, cleared the crowd and made her way home. Hayley thanked them, who then went to the Vogue directors who were leaving just as Hayley was. 

She breathed deeply once her hands found the steering wheel of her car. She was not under any risk of being ambushed by people or reporters. She was still unknown in the world. She had a long way to go.

But first and most importantly that night, it was time to go home.

She drove from the main square to her one-bedroom apartment in the midst of New York City. She was one of the millions of dreamers that came to the city to achieve what they knew their potential was. She studied in the top fashion college, pushing through all difficulties and had created a name for herself among the thousands of talents that she worked with.

Opening her apartment, a sigh of relief escaped her that she had cleaned up before leaving. Her place was neat and the fridge was stocked. Her hands immediately reached to drop her keys in its holder, and then, her bag found its way to the sofa. 

Removing her trench coat, she folded it and spent some time lying on the bean bag with her eyes closed. She massaged her temples well and the region from where the eyebrows started. It had been a long long week. All she had to do was eat and then fall into her bed. But she was too tired to cook for herself, making her wish that she had someone that would help her during days like this. 

She placed the back of her palm on her forehead when she felt suffocated suddenly. Her temperature had risen by a few degreed. It could have been because all her energy was drained out. She was absolutely exhausted.

She forced herself out of bed to change into an oversized galaxy shirt and grey sweatpants. Getting out of her black A-line dress was exactly what she needed.

After eating the previous night's leftover lasagne, she cleaned the place a little more so that it would be easier to leave for work the next morning. She hopped into her room and opened the medicine cabinet next to her dresser. She went through the supplies and took the paracetamol out. She couldn't afford to fall sick with the end of the week and the upcoming projects.

The bottle of water took its usual place on her nightstand after Hayley had taken the required medicine. It was starting to do its work after she sat on the edge of her bed and started to go through the latest photos sent to her from everyone. All the pictures had her smiling but nobody would she the person behind that. She had made a name for herself but it was an identity she couldn't trust when she sought comfort.

The words started to blur together as her eyes started to hurt. She knew that it was time to hit the sack. The corner of her mouth twitched into a small smile as she fell onto the soft cotton sheets of her bed. She pulled the quilt over her head and closed her eyes. It wasn't long before the darkness took over her consciousness and she fell into a deep sleep.

It was time to see him again.

*******
Hey everyone! I know that I said that I wanted to work on some original stories and that is exactly what I'm going to do. I know that I have a LOT of WIPs that you are waiting for and I promise that I'm working on them. But until then, I hope you like this story! It was a last minute spur-of-the-moment decision that made me write this four-year old story idea

A/N on 14th July, 2022: I've finally created a playlist for this story on spotify as well as a pinterest board under the same name! You can find me as IsabellaW18 :)