Chapter 9

There was no other choice but to go about their days. They tried to concentrate on their work but the small void that they were feeling in their chest was too overwhelming for them to stay apart. Hayley was attending to a customer that was giving an order for a wedding dress when the front door opened with the ringing of the bell. Her head jerked up and saw a frantic-looking Karan stumble into the shop.

"Hey," she left the counter to catch his arm. "What are you doing here?"

He looked at her and wanted to cup her face to let her know that everything would be fine, that they would get through this together. But they did not know each other. There was no way he could comfort a stranger. "I needed to see you," he said, straightening up. He saw the customer look at them and nodded. "I'll wait."

But Hayley could not concentrate on selling her masterpiece dress. She had been waiting to sell it off but seeing Karan waiting at the ivory-coloured couch with his elbows resting on top of his thighs held her distracted. Why hadn't they been able to see each other the night before? After months of codependency on longing nights, they had only each other for company. What could have happened?

As the customer left, happy with their purchase, Hayley rushed to sit on the couch opposite Karan's. She didn't know how to start a conversation, yet again numb seeing him in front of her. "It was weird, wasn't it?"

Karan took a deep breath. "Yes, it really was," his British accent overpowering her American one. "I couldn't sleep properly because I feel tired now. It seems as it...." he looked between her eyes. "You held my peace in your hands."

Hayley's lips twitched into a small smile. The fact that there was someone out there, who was now sitting in front of her, to think that she would be important to him in a very vital way was heartwarming. She had never received such affection before in her life, always trying to be alone and brave.

"Should we tell someone about this?" She asked.

"And tell them what exactly?"

Hayley did not know. There was no way anyone else would understand what the two of them were feeling and going through. Both of them had Google-ed each other the previous night before going to sleep, hoping to find a way to be with each other. But their lives were world apart and having a businessman walk into a boutique was certainly strange to a third stranger's eyes.

"So what do we do then?" Hayley asked, not wanting to know the answer to it. She did not want to see him walk out the door and leave her behind as he always did when their dream would break when he held the reins.

Karan shook his head, feeling the weight on his chest rise. "I don't know."

But there was the unsaid possibility left between them as the inevitable truth was waiting to drag them into the shadows of loneliness. There was only one way they could go forward with this which would result in the unknown future from killing their minds.

"So we never meet each other again then?"

"I guess so," he hesitantly agreed.

Hayley nodded, her lower lip trembling at this possibility of going back to her life from a year back when she couldn't trust anyone blindly. To love someone unconditionally is to know that they will not let the wolves come for you in dark times. But when the howling becomes overpowering, do you run or give up?

She stood up and put her hand forward. "Thank you....for all you've done for me."

Karan could see that her eyes were lowered. They lost their shine that they had whenever she smiled. But this would be what was best for them. He stood up and shook her hand. "Thank you for exactly the same."

And then, Hayley's fear came true.

Karan walked out of the front door and did not look back.