Chapter 12

Destiny. Fate. Kismet.

Words that Hayley never wanted to hear in her life had been the soul reason she was now lying in bed with a fake sick leave and eating pizza directly out of the takeout box. She was onto the fourth slice when the front gate buzzed for her apartment.

Hayley dragged herself out of the couch, thanking the possibility of receiving her next client's order. This would be the perfect distraction that she was looking for to get her out of this fatigue that found a way into her life.

"Courier for Miss Chen!" Shouted the delivery boy.

"Come on up."

Only when she opened the door did her eyes widened at the courier that had come for her. "Just sign here, Miss Chen," the young boy with freckles over his nose handed her the courier statement. "Big fan of your work, Miss Chen. Both my sisters only wear your clothes."

Hayley smiled. "I appreciate it. Thank you!" She tipped him with the money she always reserved for parcel deliveries and carried the 2 foot rectangular courier into her apartment.

It was curious. Very curious indeed. What was lying underneath the brown cover was unknown to her. She kept eyeing the package as she finished her dinner and cleared the living room of her half-alive status.

The scissors in her hand was curious too that it opened the parcel by itself. Only as she unwrapped the bubble covering did she recognise what this was. 

It was a painting.

And not just any painting.

Karan Mathur's unfinished masterpiece that was now with Hayley.

Hayley brought the painting out and rested it against the legs of the dining table as she sat down on the floor. She brought her legs towards her chest and rested her face against her knees. This was certainly not what she had been expecting.

The painting was a collage of every adventure that they had spent together. It was all here. Every fantastical journey they had been on, every dream that they had, it was all pinned down here in the chronological order. Whether it be the space wars they faced or the trekking to Himalayas, this was their journey and only theirs.

There was a letter attached to the back of the frame of the picture that Hayley noticed with its reflection against the polished wooden floors in the room. She slowly turned the painting over to remove the note.

Dear Hopeful Designer,

I don't assume you like what I've sent to you but I am hopeful that you will not return it. It has taken me several days to figure out how to contact you again but it is my pleasure to show you what it is I have been working on since the day I met you.

I can't share this with anyone else, and nor do I want to.

I want to stay true to my word and be respectful of your wishes but I simply had to send this to you. Consider it a gift for keeping this sleepless businessman happy at a time he most needed to smile. Thank you for everything you've done for me.

I'm here if you need me and I always will be here for you.

Yours and only yours,

K.

Hayley started at his beautiful handwriting and did not notice the two drops of tears that fell on it, smearing the ink in various directions

Hayley started at his beautiful handwriting and did not notice the two drops of tears that fell on it, smearing the ink in various directions. This was who they were. What was she thinking being the brave one when it was Karan all along?

She dug through the packaging cover that she had torn through to find the white label that would help her make things right. Well, there was nothing like a little bit of Google Maps that could help her now.