Chapter 7.5

Ref: An empty road

"Slow down!"

"Nope! Are you getting scared?"

"What! No...."

The winding street was as dark as it could have been. The trees on the right side of the road were blocking the moon, and the only source that could have lit the path was blocked. Only the blue haze from it could be seen, which illuminated the two school students sitting inside a sedan.

The girl was twiddling her thumbs, one on top of the other in the clockwise direction, worried that they were travelling so late at night to go to the town from school, where they had been volunteers to plan the prom. It wasn't surprising when the authorities appointed the only two distinctive POC students in the school as leaders.

The boy was putting on a cool face. He wanted to be brave. For her. He had promised her that he would keep her safe a long time ago, the two of them growing up together in opposite houses. But being mere neighbours and friends wasn't enough for him. He wanted more but did not know how she would feel about it.

As they turned the edgy curving turn at the end of the road, thunder clapped, making the girl jump up. "Slow down," she said again.

He looked at her staring at him with those doe eyes of hers that he loved dearly and sighed. "Alright." He removed pressure from the accelerator and kept his focus directly ahead. He did not want to frighten her but he did want to tell her how he felt about her.

It started to rain, making it even harder to make out what was going on. He switched on the wiper blades and increased the beam of the car. They were going to get to town and he was going to make her hot chocolate like the one she always loved.

Silence took over the car between the two of them as they drenched in the words that they weren't saying. The girl kept stealing glances at him and wondered how she had gotten herself into the mess of falling in love with her best friend. They had grown up together and she couldn't ruin what they had.

"I need to tell you something," started the boy. He really wanted to look at her but he did see her turn her head to face him. "This is something that I've been thinking about for a while now....and I think you should know about it too....and....I....and-"

"What happened?" The girl snickered. "The captain of the football team has forgotten his English?" She teased him. "You can tell it to me in Hindi if you want. I'm pretty sure after watching desi movies with you, I can figure it out."

The boy laughed. "Alright." He took a deep breath in and turned his head to look at her. "I....Mujhe...."

But her eyes fell on the truck that was coming from the opposite at full speed first. "Look out!" She screamed, the only voice that would echo in their ears followed by the screeching of tires as the boy sharply turned off the road and fell down the valley into the forests.

The sound of the crash filled through the lone woods and glass shattered all around the car. The boy gained consciousness first and coughed out. His head hurt, a ringing taking over. He looked at the girl first before seeing if he was hurt and found her head hanging. "No...." He knew what had happened. "No!" He screamed. He tried to reach for her but his right hand was broken. So he simply leaned forward and rested his head on her arm. "I love you...."

Those were his last words, and when the authorities found them the next day, they found the boy and girl holding hands - both dead.

*****

Hey everyone! Apologies for not updating for a while
I had no idea how to write this chapter because of the ending.
I was consoling myself the entire time, but I'm going to finish this book before I work on anything new. I want to write more in this genre and I hope I can
We're close to the end!