Literacy of Homophobia

-Brendon's point of view-

"Now class," I started, "we're having a free write day, mainly because I've been out for a few days-"

"We see that, Mr. Urie." A student laughed, gesturing to the faint hickeys on my neck, causing a mini uproar.

"But also because I didn't get any work together, so. Free write day. Write whatever you wish and share it with the class. You have ten minutes, go." I smiled.

Surely this couldn't end bad, right?

--------------

So far, free write was good. Most students wrote about their parents, animals, food, blah, blah, blah.

But this one kid made me lose it... And not in a good way.

The student, Travis, ran up there and just...

"Faggots!" He screamed, "why the hell are they here? To spread disease, to make everyone else a fag-"

"Shut your mouth!!" I was surprised about the voice from the corner of the room belonged to Andrew.

"It's true! They all deserve to die!"

- flashback -

Ryan looked at me, then around me and his face turned ghost white, before I could turn, I felt Ryan wrap around me as a powerful force pushed us to the side.

Not the way we were supposed to be going either.

I felt the tug and pull as we flipped too many times to count, and then nothing. It went black for a moment, but when I gained consciousness, I immediately looked for Ryan even though my eyesight was blurred and... Red...

Blood.

I couldn't hear for a moment as I realized I was upside down and also realized Ryan wasn't in the car. I felt sudden hands on me, that sent pain through my whole body as I was "carefully" pulled from the little wrecked car, I heard a voice yelling and cursing, a familiar voice... My mother...

I turned my head as I was put on a stretcher, my mother being handcuffed in her chili dog work clothes, she was screaming something like, "you dirty faggots, I hope you die and rot in hell!" When I was pulled into the ambulance, next to a person more scratched up and unconscious, I realized it was Ryan.

"RYAN!" I screamed, trying to reach for him before being harshly pinned by paramedics, Ryan's face was turned away from me and I started breaking down, "Ryan please! Let go of me you bastard! Please let me hold his hand at least, FOR FUCKS SAKE PLEASE?!" The male paramedic looked very sad for me, giving me Ryan's hand and I squeezed tight, crying feeling how he was cold yet still warm, "is he okay?" I looked at the paramedic with wide, tearful eyes, he put his head down, looking away as fear filled my body.

"ANSWER ME." The paramedic looked up, almost scared looking, "he's unresponsive... To everything, we found this in his pockets." The paramedic showed a box of cigarettes, a lighter and an unfamiliar box, wrapped in red satin. I gently grabbed the little red box and opened it, two rings fell out onto my stomach,

"oh my god."

- End of flashback -

Scariest time of my life and this kid made everything worse.

My throat closed up and I started shaking, I called Ryan immediately.

By the third ring, "hello?"

"Please come get me, I'm having a panic attack."

"I'll be there as soon as I can." Ryan said calmly and hung up. I tried to remain calm and called the front office, telling them I had family problems and had to leave immediately. They said they'd get a substitute right away.
Once I gathered my things, I started to walk out of class, with Andrew of course, my face tear stained. I saw Ryan in the front office. When he saw me he practically ran to me and devoured me in a hug, holding me up as I collapsed against him in a fit of tears and fear.

Ryan grabbed my stuff and picked me up, carrying me to the car bridal style while I sobbed into his shoulder. He pushed the schools door open with his back, and runs to the car. He never sets me down until I'm in the passenger seat.

I notice him run to the drivers side and start the car immediately, tearing through the school driveway, to our home where I cried for hours and hours.

---------------

I wake up hours later, dizzy and confused. It's dark. Memories of today play back and I'm back to sobbing and shaking. In a moment, Ryan's by my side, wrapping his arms around me and whispering in my ear.

It's safe to say I haven't been the same since the accident, I can barely walk down the street without hearing something that sets me off. And Ryan, poor Ryan has to deal with it. The thought that he basically has to take care of me makes me cry harder, I feel so helpless.

When I came back to reality, Ryan's still holding me, except now I'm in his lap and he's rocking us back and forth still whispering that things will be okay.

After a while, the sobbing turned into small hiccups and occasional sniffling. When I finally feel I'm able to talk, I lift my head to look into the honey colored eyes of my fiance. Ryan's already looking at me with a small, comforting smile. "Andrew told me what happened." He whispered.

"I love you."