𝔽𝕚𝕧𝕖

Today is the day of the Harper Avery awards. Abigail was pretty sure that Cristina was going to win. Well so was everyone at Grey Sloan Memorial, you'd be stupid not to.

Although it was such a big day for Cristina Yang, for Abigail Grey it was a normal work day. Today she had back to back surgeries ranging from aneurysms to a brain tumour to a slipped spinal disk.

Her first surgery of the day, in OR 2, was a 37 year old woman who had 3 aneurysms, all on the verge of rupturing.

Once she was in, she saw that these aneurysms were larger than she had previously expected, but that didn't lower her confidence.

She slowly and delicately retracted the parts of the brain to be able to get to the areas in which the aneurysms were located. She had managed to successfully place a clip on the neck if the first two aneurysms.

However, when she got to the third and final one, before she could place the clip it had burst. The machines in the OR started beeping rapidly. But Abby didn't lose her cool head as she quickly got a handle on the bleeding before placing another clip.

After she closed up and the patient was in recovery, Abigail didn't have long until her next surgery; a 48 year old male with a brain tumour on his frontal lobe.

Abigail had to admit, she was nervous for this surgery. This tumour was massive and it wasn't going to be easy to remove.

------

Abigail was currently deep into removing this tumour. She was beginning to make headway in cutting as much of it out as she could. She knew that if she took her time and was meticulous enough she could get it all. But it would take a while.

She was carefully disecting it, constantly checking her work to make sure no mistakes were made. Abigail very rarely made mistakes but that was because she constantly checking. In this job there was no room to make big mistakes. Sure surgeons make mistakes quite often, they are humans after all, but when they do the consequences are dire.

Major mistakes can lead to you losing your licence, or what Abiagil felt was worse, killing a patient. Yes she's lost patients before, it's bound to happen. But making a mistake that has cost somebody their life, knowing that you could've avoided that if you had focused slightly more, or took your time, would've just broken her.

Abigail knew the severity of what would happen if she accidentally slipped and nicked something she wasn't supposed to with they scalpel. So every move she made was cautiously and carefully planned.

She felt a sense of relief wash over her when she finally had the whole tumour out. She let out a breath she didn't know she was holding as she allowed her shoulder to relax.

She began closing the patient up, almost perfectly. She needed to keep a close eye on him through recovery though, any side effects from this surgery could be life changing. Although if she had done this as clean as she thought she had, there shouldn't be any complications.

------

Abigail was currently finishing up her last surgery of the day, an older man in his 70s with a herniated disk in his lower spine, when her phone went off. "Dr Grey, its Dr Grey." One of the OR nurses held up Abby's phone to show Merediths contact popping up on the screen.

"Answer it please." As the nurse pressed the answer button, she placed the call on speaker so that Abigail could hear the call. "What's up Mer?"

"Have you seen Derek at all?"

"No why."

"The daycare is closed, Derek isn't answering his phone and I have no idea where my kids are." Merediths worry is evident in her tone of voice. Abiail would be lying if she said she wasn't slightly worried for her niece and nephew.

"I'm just wrapping up this surgery, I'll head up and ask who took the kids. Mer, everything's gonna be fine. Okay?"

"Thank you Abs. I owe you one." The phone cut off on the other end just as Abiagil had closed up the man on the table.

Once she had scrubbed out she made her way up to the daycare. When she asked about the kids she was told that Dr Torres and Dr Robbins had taken them along with their daughter Sofia.

Abigail made her way back down to Merediths OR, when she got there she grabbed a mask and walked in holding it over her face. "Hey, Callie and Arizona have them. I was just gonna head over, make sure everything okay. Probably take them home. Just thought I'd let you know."

"Thanks again kid." Meredith replied, sparing her little sister a thankful glance from the other side of the OR. Abigail just nodded back at her before leaving.

------

Callie and Arizona heard a knock on the door. As the two stood and opened the door, they were surprised to see the youngest of the Grey sisters stood on their front porch. "Hey, Abby. Everything okay?"

"Umm yeah. The daycare said that you took Zola and Bailey. Just wanted to come and ask if you wanted me to take them home... Although he seems to be enjoying his time here." She replied pointing towards Bailey who was gently snuggling into Arizona.

"No you don't need to take them, but you can come it. Maybe we could get to know one another a bit more." Callie suggested welcomingly. Abigail saw it as a good idea, she didn't have many friends in Seattle at the moment.

"Sure, as long as I'm not imposing." A small smile had made its way onto her face. Maybe she was finally going to make some friends.

------

The three women were now sat around a coffee table with a bottle of wine and a couple beers, just getting chatting about everything and anything. "So what was Boston like?" Arizona asked sounding genuinely interested.

Abigail took a deep breath before answering, "It was amazing. Rather be difference from here though. A lot less drama over there." She said causing everyone to let out a light chuckle.

"It was great, but I had to get out of there. It just wasn't the same anymore." Her smile had noticeably dropped know, which both Callie and Arizona had picked up on.

"What happened, if you dont mind me asking."

Abigail didn't really feel like going into detail, so she just outlined it. "Umm, my wife died about a year ago or so. The place just wasn't the same anymore, you know? I tried so hard to go back to my life but... I just couldn't."

The two just nodded in pity. Before swiftly changing the subject to something more light hearted. The three just sat and spoke about their lives, jobs, future plans, kids and whatever else came up. By the end of the night Abigail finally felt like she could say she had friends in Seattle. Well friends that weren't her sister or Derek, or their kids.

AN - so I've realised I'm awful at writing surgery, or just writing in general but yano. We move on. :)