𝕋𝕨𝕖𝕟𝕥𝕪-𝕆𝕟𝕖

Abigail wasn't a religious person, she never had been. Not that she didn't have respect for those who believed, she just wasn't one of them. Yet she found herself stood in the hospitals chapel, lighting a candle, trying to find it in herself to believe. To believe that someone out there is looking out for April and Jackson.  She didn't know them very well, but she knew they don't deserve this. And she wanted to do her part.

------

Earlier that day.

With April out the ER was hectic, almost like bumper cars with gurneys. Not quite what you want to see when in a hospital. Once Abby had finished checking her patient she made her way over to a quickly growing group of attendings in the middle of the room. "Hey, bed eight is ready to be discharged." She said to Owen, as he was trying to keep up with everything. Not even a second later Callie and Warren came over as well. "I'm admitting that femur break in bed six. Bed five needs and RT consult."

"Okay, hold on... Hold on, uh." Owen muttered as he tried to keep up with his surgeons.

"Okay, well where's Kepner? I'll just tell her." Callie replied, clearly in a rush.

"Uh she and Avery are out today." Bailey told gently, sadness washed over the group as they remembered.

"Oh god, today? Okay what are we gonna do for them?" Callie asked desperate for ideas.

"Flowers?" Warren asked. Abby immediately disagreed. "No, yeah that's weird." He backtracked. As the group kept brainstorming Amelia cut them off after a few minutes. "I lit a candle in the chapel." Abby looked at her girlfriend and immediately saw the look on her face. Something was wrong. "It made me feel better. You can all just give them privacy. Its all their gonna want." Amelia said as she turned and walked away.

Just as Abby was about to walk up to her Owen beat her to it, asking her about her surgical plan for Dr Herman's tumour and if she wanted to go to lunch. Abby would be lying if she said that hadn't made her a bit jealous but it was quickly taken over with worry when the woman replied. "Uh, sorry I can't." She quickly left as if she was desperate to get away.

Abby quickly went to follow her but as she turned the corner, Amelia was no where to be seen.

------

Abby turned the corner towards radiology where she saw Herman leant against the door frame talking to Amelia. "And here I thought I'd won you over to the dark side." Abby stopped just next to Herman, leaning on the other side of the door frame, crossing her arms over her chest. "Trying to corrupt people with your pessimistic tendencies again Herman?" Abby retorted with a smirk.

"Always, although I can't seem to get through to this one." She said firing a look back to Amelia.

"Never."

"Keep hope alive" Herman said before turning on her heal and leaving. Abby stayed, about to ask to speak to Amelia before she was cut off, yet again, this time by Stephanie. Once Edwards had finished speaking the two went to leave the room, walking straight past Abby. But the taller woman grabbed her arm before she could leave.

"Hey, you okay? You seem kinda off. I mean we haven't really had chance to talk today so..."

"Yeah I'm fine. Just busy." And with that Amelia pulled her arm out of Abby's grasp and walked away. Again.  Abby knew what fine meant. Her sister has been saying it her whole life. 'I'm fine' never means fine. She just wished she knew how to help.

------

Once Abby had lit her candle she turned to leave, but instead she saw a short brunette woman stood in the doorway. "Hey, thanks for the suggestion. Really helped." She thanked awkwardly, waiting to see what the other woman was going to do.

Amelia just nodded her head and moved to sit down, gently patting the seat next to her. As Abby sat down she gently placed her hand on her girlfriends knee, hoping it would bring some silent comfort to the woman. They sat like that for a few minutes, watching the candles flicker. That was until Amelia spoke up.

"My baby lived for 43 minutes." Amelia kept looking forward but she could feel the eyes of the woman next to her. Abby was shocked to say the least, but she didn't say anything. She just moved her hand from Amelia's knee and placed it around her shoulders, gently pulling her into her side, letting her know she was there. This time it was Amelia who turned to look at the other woman, green meeting blue yet again before she moved her head to rest on the blondes shoulder. Abby placed a gentle kiss on her forehead before moving to lean her head on Amelia's.

Hey :) Sorry again its been so long but I hope you enjoy this chapter. Just wanted to say thank you all so much for reading, I really appreciate it <3