𝔽𝕚𝕗𝕥𝕖𝕖𝕟

TW; Sexual assault and rape

The night shift. It was a pain in the ass, but had to be done. You'd think at night the ER wouldn't be as packed as during the day, you know when everyone is sleeping. But you would be wrong. The place is packed with mostly drunken idiot men who got in some completely stupid accident or a bar fight. But as thick as some of them were, they still needed to be treated. Another think that sucks about the night shift is the on call rooms. Once you'd checked up on your patients, and had finished with consultations in the ER, you'd take any moment you could to get some shut eye. Even if it was just for 5 minutes, you'd take it.

And that's where Abby currently was. Laid on one of the small beds, her chest peacefully rising up and down. That was until the obnoxious sound of her pager woke her up. 911 in the ER, incoming trauma. She dragged herself out of the bed, gently rubbing her eyes as she moved through the hallways hurriedly. As the got to the doors, her body clad in a yellow trauma gown and latex surgical gloves, the ambulance pulled up as two paramedics jumped out of the back.

"What we got?" Abby asked calmly as ever, looking down at the patient who was almost unrecognizable as a human being. Their face, which was triple the size it should be, covered in a deep red blood and dark purple and blue bruises. Their clothes completely in tatters, especially their bottom half which was practically no longer covering much.

"16 year old female, severe head trauma, taken a beating pretty much everywhere, signs of sexual assault, thready pulse." The paramedic listed off with a look that just screamed 'this isn't going to be good'. Abby just sighed and nodded simply wondering what kind of people leave another person in this state.

"Lets get her in trauma one." Abby shouted over the hustle and bustle of the ER in the midnight hours.

------

Abby had just gotten out of surgery on the young girl who had finally been ID'd as Olivia Blake. However, she didn't make it. Abby stood there doing everything she could think of to keep this girl alive, but it hadn't worked out like that. That poor girl was raped and beaten, left for dead. Abby leaned against the wall of an empty hallway, slowly sliding to the ground pulling her knees to her chest. She couldn't stop the wave of nausea that came across her, and yet she just sat and stared at the blankness of the wall in front of her. She just sat there and quietly cried in the hallway, she had failed that young girl. 

She wasn't sure how long she had been sat there when the sound of a heart rate monitor started rapidly beeping in the distance pulled her out of her trance. When she look at her watch she saw that her shift was officially over. She peeled herself off of the floor, grabbing her bag from the attendings lounge, not having the energy to change she headed straight home in her scrubs. 

Once she had finally made it to her car, she sat there, still. Until she started yelling, hitting her steering wheel, she was angry. Angry at the world, at herself. She couldn't save that girl. But not only was she angry, she was disappointed. disappointed that people do this. 

------

As Abby sluggishly made her way into her bedroom, she saw Amelia sat on her bed, scrolling through her phone. "Hey you." Amelia chirped with a smile on her face which quickly fell when she saw the look on her girlfriends face. "Whats wrong?"

"I couldn't save her, I lost her." Abby's eyes were almost void of any emotion as she just stood there, not looking at anything in particular. 

"Lost who? What happened?" 

"A girl came in, she was 16. It was so bad. I couldn't save her" Abby's voice cracked as tears welled up in her eyes, as she began to chew on the inside of her cheek. Amelia's heart broke slightly seeing the usually confident woman in front of her like this. She gently patted the spot on the bed next to her, urging the blonde to sit down. 

"Is there anything you wanna talk about, you look in thought." She asked gently as Abby still just stared in front of her. 

"When I was fifteen..." She started before taking a deep, shaky breath. "When I was fifteen, this boy from school asked me on a date. We went to the park and just walked and talked for ages. A few hours in he asked if it was okay if his friend and his friends girlfriend came to hang out too. I didn't mind, I thought it'd be fun. But when his friend showed up, he was alone. I asked where his girlfriend was but he said she couldn't come. At this point it was dark and we were still out. I kept saying that I should really get home, but every time I said it they would say 'don't worry about it. We'll get you home before 3' I didn't wanna stay but they didn't care. Then we were stood by the lake, when one of them came up behind me. He put his hands on my hips, started moving his hands up and down my sides. When I asked him what he was doing he just whispered in ear, 'just enjoy it'. Then the other one came up and started to undo my shirt, and no matter how much I told him to stop, he wouldn't."

"They pushed me to the ground and held my down so tight. I was just laid there at like 2 in the morning, naked. It was so cold, and the grass, it almost felt sharp. When they were both finished they just took off and left me there. I felt like I couldn't move, not even to get dressed. I guess i passed out cause I woke up in the hospital the next day, Meredith sat at my side holding my hand, my mother no where to be seen." Abby finished, not realizing the constant stream of tears falling down her face. 

"Oh baby, I'm so sorry." Amelia whispered at she pulled Abby against her chest, just letting her sob, until she fell asleep. Thankfully Amelia had the day off today, now not intending to leave Abby's side.