Twenty-Five

𝙱𝚘𝚝𝚊𝚗𝚒𝚌𝚊𝚕 𝙼𝚞𝚜𝚎𝚞𝚖 𝚘𝚏 𝚅𝚒𝚛𝚐𝚒𝚗𝚒𝚊

𝟽𝟹 𝚃𝚎𝚊𝚜𝚕𝚎𝚢 𝚁𝚍, 𝚀𝚞𝚊𝚗𝚝𝚒𝚌𝚘, 𝚅𝙰

𝙹𝚞𝚕𝚢 𝟸𝟷, 𝟸𝟶𝟷𝟸

𝟸:𝟻𝟶 𝙿.𝙼.

"It's hotter than balls out here," Tillie said to her coworker, wiping sweat off her brow. 

Her and Meghan, her coworker, were in the gardens, observing a species of Ageratum houstonianum, or bluemink, that was recently planted in their facility. 

"It really is," Meghan sighed. She was new at the workplace, but so far Tillie really liked her. She just hoped that she wouldn't scare her off before they became friends. "If people often get buried, and eventually the bodies decompose, and that becomes fertilizer and a food source for plants, are plants actually raising us?"

Tillie looked up from her clipboard. She opened her mouth and closed it again, unsure of what to say. Her eyes furrowed, the more she thought about it the more it started to make a little bit of sense. 

"Meghan, what brought you to think about this, and then beyond that, what made you speak of this?" Tillie finally questioned. "That was unnecessary, now I'm going to be thinking of this for the rest of the night."

"Sorry," She stood up from the ground, standing next to Tillie. "Do you have any unnecessary thoughts on your mind?"

Tillie thought about it for a moment, "Well, eventually, everything dies, and eventually ideas die, and people, and culture, so no matter what we do, it won't matter... The universe will keep on going without us, because we're not important or special... But no matter how small or unnecessary we are, I think that we should live life to the fullest. Go do whatever we wish, especially since we're only here for so long." 

Meghan stared at Tillie, her eyes widening. Looking at the ground in embarrassment, her thoughts ran wild. You did it again, Debbie Downer. 

"In that case, let's clock out early." Meghan suggested, turning to head back into the lab. Tillie's head snapped up. 

"What do you mean, we still have to conduct some tests!" She ran to catch up with Meghan. "As much as I would love to leave, it's probably not the best thing to do."

"What are you talking about? It's a fantastic idea! Why don't we go to the book shop or something?"

"The book shop?"

"Yes, the book shop," She shrugged once she got in the lab. 

"Either way, Meghan, we still can't just leave. We'll go some other time."

"I've heard from the others that you're the spontaneous one. I don't know about you, but the Otillia Cobb in front of me is not very spontaneous."

Rolling her eyes, and then looking at her watch, she closed her eyes and let out a heavy sigh. 

"Oh, sweet Jesus lord, Janet is going to be pissed at me. Fine," Tillie caved, placing her clipboard in the drawer of her designated area. "But you have to help clean up first." 

Nodding, the two women cleaned up their space, laughing and singing along to Taylor Swift on the radio. Eventually, every closing task was complete, and they clocked out of the lab. 

"Okay, which book shop are we going to?" Tillie asked as she locked the doors. "There's a Barnes & Noble not too far from here," She added, turning around to face Meghan.