𝒊𝒊.

Nothing caps off the perfect morning like a long taxi ride with an angry teenage girl. 

Noelle tried to talk to Annabeth— seeing as she'd probably talk more with her than Percy— but she was acting like both of them had just punched her grandmother. All she managed to get out of her was that she'd had a monster infested spring in San Francisco; she'd come back to camp twice since Christmas but wouldn't tell them why (which kind of ticked them off, because she hadn't even told them she was in New York).

Noelle had supplied that she didn't find out anything about where Nico di Angelo was when the awkward silence became too much to handle. She was only somewhat lying. She only knew where Nico was whenever he'd visited her new apartment in Manhattan, he never told her where he was during their Iris-messages. And she 100% didn't know where he was now. Not after he ghosted her.

"So..." Percy said after another  awkward silence. "Any word on Luke?"

Annabeth shook her head. They knew this was a touchy subject for her. Annabeth had always admired Luke, the former head counselor for Hermes who had betrayed their camp and joined the evil Titan Lord Kronos. She wouldn't admit it, but Percy knew she still liked him (And, for what it's worth, he knew she also liked his girlfriend even after telling her she didn't last winter, but she hid it well). When they'd fought Luke on Mount Tamalpais last winter, he'd somehow survived a fifty-foot fall off a cliff. Now, as far as he knew, he was still sailing around on his demon-infested cruise ship while his chopped-up Lord Kronos re-formed, bit by bit, in a golden sarcophagus, biding his time until he had enough power to challenge the Olympian gods. In demigod-speak, they call this a "problem." 

"Mount Tam is still overrun with monsters," Annabeth said. "I didn't dare go close, but I don't think Luke is up there. I think I would know if he was." 

That didn't make Noelle feel much better. "What about Grover? Is he okay with everything?"

Annabeth knew what Noelle was hinting at, the blond herself had told her what happened with the council. So, she offered a small shrug only Noelle noticed. "He's at camp," she said. "We'll see him today." 

"Did he have any luck? I mean, with the search for Pan?" Percy asked. 

Annabeth fingered her bead necklace, the way she does when she's worried. 

"You'll see," she said. But she didn't explain. 

As they headed through Brooklyn, Percy used Annabeth's phone to call his mom. Half-bloods try not to use cell phones if they can avoid it, because broadcasting their voices is like sending up a flare to the monsters: Here I am! Please eat me now! But he figured this call was important. He left a message on their home voice mail, trying to explain what had happened at Goode. He probably didn't do a very good job. He told his mom he was fine, she shouldn't worry, but he was going to stay at camp until things cooled down. Percy asked her to tell Paul Blofis he was sorry.

Then Noelle took a turn. Unfortunately, her parents actually picked up.

"Hello?" It was her dad.

Noelle internally groaned, wishing that Emily had answered instead. At least her stepmom would try and act calm to keep Noelle from freaking out. 

"Dad, hey."

"Noelle? I just saw the news. Are you okay?" her father said, worry creeping into his voice.

"I'm fine. Everyone's fine. Just a little unplanned interaction with some cheerleaders," Noelle said as an explanation. "Look, I have to go stay at camp with Percy and Annabeth until things die down. I'll keep you updated."