𝒙𝒗𝒊𝒊.

Distance was shorter in the Labyrinth. Still, by the time Rachel got them back to Times Square, Noelle felt like they'd pretty much run all the way from New Mexico. They climbed out of the Marriott basement and stood on the sidewalk in the bright summer daylight, squinting at the traffic and crowds. 

Noelle couldn't decide which seemed less real—New York or the crystal cave where she'd watched a god die. 

Percy led the way into an alley, where he could get a nice echo. Then he whistled as loud as he could, five times. 

A minute later, Rachel gasped. "They're beautiful!" 

A flock of pegasi descended from the sky, swooping between the skyscrapers. Blackjack was in the lead, followed by four of his white friends. 

Yo, boss! He spoke in Percy's mind. You lived! 

"Yeah," Percy told him. "I'm lucky that way. Listen, we need a ride to camp quick." 

That's my specialty! Oh man, you got that Cyclops with you? Yo, Guido! How's your back holding up? 

The Pegasus Guido groaned and complained, but eventually he agreed to carry Tyson. Everybody started getting ready and saddling up—except Rachel. 

"Well," she told Percy, "I guess this is it." 

He nodded uncomfortably. They both knew she couldn't go to camp. He glanced at Annabeth, who looked eager to have a word with the redhead before they left. 

"Thanks, Rachel," Percy said. "We couldn't have done it without you." 

"I wouldn't have missed it." Rachel smiled.

"Mind if I cut in?" Annabeth asked, coming up on Percy's right.

Percy shook his head. "She's all yours."

He walked away and let the two girls have their moment to say goodbye. He made his way over to where Noelle was petting Nico's pegasus, trying to reassure him that Nico was harmless.

"Didn't know you could talk to pegasi too," Percy teased as he neared.

Noelle chuckled. "I can't, but I can read their body language. Kind of."

"Will you be riding with me?" he asked.

"Uh, I was gonna fly on my own," Noelle said softly.

"Are you sure?" Percy asked. 

Noelle nodded, smiling at her worried boyfriend. "I'll be fine. Besides, if I fall you'll catch me."

Percy rolled his eyes with a smile. "You are so cheesy sometimes."

"But you love me." 

Percy wrapped his arms around her. "That I do."

"And I love you." She kissed his nose.

Percy's smile widened. "I don't think I'll ever get tired of hearing that."

"Good."

When Annabeth got back to the horses. Nico was still having trouble. His Pegasus kept shying away from him, reluctant to let him mount. 

He smells like dead people! The pegasus complained. 

Hey now, Blackjack said. Come on, Porkpie. Lotsa demigods smell weird. It ain't their fault. Oh—uh, I didn't mean you, boss. 

"Go without me!" Nico said. "I don't want to go back to that camp anyway." 

"Nico," Percy said, "we need your help." 

He folded his arms and scowled. Then Noelle put her hand on his shoulder.