Chapter 4: Rough Edges

"NO! LET ME GO!!!!!! I NEED TO SEE HIM!!!! COLTON!!!!!!!!" Sean awoke in a sweat, gasping for air. Once he realized he was safe and out of the nightmare, he took several deep breaths before collecting himself. He looked around his new room, it was still plain and boring, as decorating had not started yet. He held his head in his hands as he let out a sigh. Ever since that day, he had been having the same nightmare over and over again. At least one time every night he would wake up in a sweat as the memories of the day Colton's body was taken by Atlas flooded his sleeping mind, and it only fueled his hatred for the kingdom of Atlas further. He yawned slightly and was about to lay back down when he heard an alarm go off next to him. He quickly reached over to his scroll and turned it off, but the damage had already been done.
"What the hell is that? Who set an alarm?" asked a tired and annoyed Kya as she sat up, rubbing her eyes. Sean sighed, he was hoping he would be fast enough to avoid waking anyone up, and of course the person to wake up had to be Kya, the one person who hated waking up early out of his friends.
           "That's my bad Kya, sorry. I'm not used to having you guys as roommates yet." he replied. The dirty haired girl sighed and stretched.
            "It's alright...just please try to keep it a bit quieter, please?" she asked with a yawn.
  "I'll try my best, I promise." Sean replied honestly. Kya nodded and plopped back down in her bunk, waving her hand slightly in the air.
             "Are you going out to run...?" she asked softly, and Sean nodded to his friend.
             "I am. I'll have my scroll on me though, so if you need me, I'll answer." he responded honestly.
           "Okay, okay. Just don't wake anyone else up, alright Sean?" she asked, and Sean nodded silently as he got out of his bed and quietly got dressed while Kya fell back to sleep. Yesterday he had been forced to reveal his Semblance because Coco had pushed him over the edge, which he had not been happy about. Granted, she and the rest of her new team had been nice to him yesterday evening when all of them were getting to know each other, but he was already starting to question if it had been a good idea for Shira to try and befriend her, since she did seem to be the type that didn't have a filter whatsoever.
He got up as quietly as he could, got dressed, put his sneakers on, and left the dorm room.

Sean crept his way through the dark halls until he made it to the stairs, in which he headed down and walked out the main doors of the dorm building. He took a deep breath of the crisp, early morning air, a smile forming on his face at the familiar feeling. When he noticed that the campus was also dimly lit by lights, his smile broadened further.
"Ha. Looks like this'll be a good run after all." he whispered to himself as he stretched his legs. He felt the muscles in the back of his legs stretch to their limits, and knew he had found the place to stop. He repeated the same process several times before standing up straight and took a deep breath. He jumped up and down a couple times to hype himself up a little bit, crouched slightly, and took off at a small jog at first, gradually picking up speed. Once he had found a good pace, he grinned and activated his Semblance, blasting off as fast as he could as he began to run laps around the campus. Sean always loved this time of day, the crispness in the air, the smell of the early morning dew on the grass, and of course he had the time to himself, with no one to bother him. He had just finished his 10th lap in record time, aiming to beat his old time of 3 miles in 20 minutes, now aiming for 3 miles in 10 minutes, thanks to his Semblance of course. His natural time without his Semblance was 3 miles in 23 minutes, 22 seconds, which wasn't too much of a deficit, but he was always aiming to be faster than he was the previous day. He loved this feeling, the feeling of being able to run until his legs ached and his chest was sore, he loved getting lost in this feeling. As he finished another lap, he was about to crank his speed up further, when he was suddenly weightless. Keeping himself calm, he looked around, thinking that he had fallen off the edge of the campus overlooking the city, but he turned his head as he heard footsteps closing in on him. He could only sigh as he turned to face Miss Goodwitch as she came marching over, a cold look on her face, and a crop in her hand.
               "What in the name of the Gods are you doing up so early? And why are you out here of all places?" she asked as she flicked her crop, causing Sean to hover back down to the ground.
                 "I always get up this early. I use this time to run," he replied honestly.
                  "You wake up... at almost 7 in the morning.... To run? Why?" she asked, a look of concern and curiosity on her face now.
                  "It's almost 7 AM already? Jeez I must've lost track of time! It's been almost an hour already!" Sean thought to himself as he quickly replied to Miss Goodwitch's question.
                  "It's a habit I picked up back home... it helps me wake up, helps me think, and it helps me to train my Semblance as well." he answered, hoping that was enough to answer her questions. He looked away, her iron gaze seeming to pierce through into his soul, trying to expose everything he kept close to his chest. He heard her let out a quiet sigh, and he looked back at her as her gaze softened.
                "Well.... I will talk to Professor Ozpin about this, but please try not to use your Semblance too much if he allows you to keep doing this. I don't want you waking up the other students because of how bright your flames are. For now, please head back inside and start getting ready. Your first day of classes begins soon." she replied in a tone that was expected to be obeyed. Not wanting to get on her bad side, Sean simply nodded and slowly walked back to his dorm quietly, silently steaming that his run had been interrupted. He didn't blame Miss Goodwitch, she didn't know what his habits were, how could she have? No, he was more annoyed because of why she questioned him about it.
"Can't a guy just run in peace? What's so wrong about that?" he thought to himself as he walked into his dorm.