Chapter 22: Closure

"For the last time, we didn't do anything! We just watched a movie, and fell asleep! That's it!" Sean repeated for the 5th time, much to the entertainment of his friends. Coco, Castor, and Kara had been grilling him and Lia about finding them asleep in Sean's bed last night after the movie was over. Now, the young couple wasn't hearing the end of it, as the less private members of their group wanted to know everything, even though there was absolutely nothing to tell.
"And for the 5th time today Hotshot, we are collectively calling BS. There is no way you two didn't do anything cute last night! Now spill the damn beans already!!!!" Coco exclaimed. Sean rolled his eyes as he buried his head in his hands.
"My gods...Coco you are infuriating today." he declared, becoming slightly annoyed with the spitfire fashionista for her antics.
"Thank you, I try." she remarked with a cheeky grin as she took a sip of her coffee.
           "Sometimes I think you try a bit too hard, Coco." Yatsu pointed out as he finished cutting his food and began to eat.
            "Nope. I think I'm trying just hard enough." the fashionista replied with a grin and a wink at Lia, causing the Cobra Faunus to blush intensely and look away.
             "Coco, come on...leave them alone. They're allowed to be cute together. As long as they respect each others boundaries." Shira pointed out as she sat down and stretched.
            "You alright Shi?" Kya asked with concern. The violet eyed 1st year nodded her head, not bothered at all.
            "Yeah I'm fine. Just slept funny...I think I pulled something in my shoulder last night while I was sleeping..." she admitted as she looked at her partner.
            "Oh...do you want me to massage your shoulder for you?" Kya asked gently. The leader of Team THON nodded her head softly, and Kya stood up and positioned herself directly behind Shira. She began to massage Shira's shoulder gently, causing her lifelong friend to close her eyes and relax as Kya massaged the knot out of her shoulder.
          "Gods...thank you Kya...that feels so much better now..." she uttered in a soft voice. Kya chuckled as she sat back down to eat.
           "Anytime. Soon as I felt the knot I could tell you probably overextended yourself out in the cold. It was an easy fix." the dirty blonde responded with a shrug.
             "That's strange...I wasn't even in the cold that long yesterday. Jet and I went out on a patrol yesterday for maybe 20 minutes before checking out one of their bases inventories. I wasn't even out in the cold that long..." Shira uttered, somewhat confused.
             "You'd be surprised how quick it can happen. It doesn't take long for cold weather to mess with you, especially since we aren't used to this like they are." Kya pointed out as she turned and locked eyes with Kara, who looked back down at her food.
            "What's the matter, Nightshade? Wish it was you doing that instead of me?" she teased, causing the Wolf Faunus' tail to stiffen as she looked back up at Kya with clear annoyance.
              "Oh shut up, Ky. When are you gonna knock that off?" she asked as she glared at her shorter friend.
             "Maybe when you finally say something about it instead of being quiet and awkward every time Sean and I see you two together." Kya countered, her grin widening. Kara's eyes narrowed as she flipped Kya off, causing the shorter girl to chuckle as she went back to eating. Sean chuckled at their banter as he glanced at Lia, who glanced back at him with a soft smile on her face.
"You fell asleep during the movie last night, Sean." she teased.
"Yeah...I did. I'm sorry." he responded sheepishly.
"And I've got the photos to prove it!!!" Coco declared with a grin as she pulled out her Scroll.
"Mind sending those to me?" Castor asked with a grin.
"Same here!" Kara added, raising her hand with a smile.
"Oh you don't even need to ask!" Coco explained with a smile.
"Coco, come on. Must you tease them so much?" Yatsu asked his team leader. The fashionista shrugged her shoulders, as if the answer was obvious to her.
             "Well, yes. Lia's not teasing him anymore. So someone has to!" she exclaimed.
             "Oh, no I still tease him...that won't change." Lia remarked, but her voice betrayed her, it was soft, and gentle. She did enjoy teasing Sean, but it was coming from a different place now. Before it was just for fun, now it was because it was her way of saying that she wasn't leaving.
            "I think you're all missing the point. Why do you need to tease him at all? Is him being happy and finally being able to heal not enough?" Yatsu asked quizzically.
            "We tease him because it's what we do, big guy. We do it out of love." Kara explained with a grin as she trapped her best friend in a headlock and messed up his hair.
           "I still find that a bit odd...but alright." he replied as he scratched his head.
            "It's an acquired thing bud, don't worry. You'll get it eventually." Kya explained with a grin as she yawned.
            "Still tired, Ky? You weren't overusing your Semblance again right?" Sean asked, but she shook her head.
           "No, just still waking up a bit." she explained as she began to eat her breakfast.
           "I still can't believe we've spent a week here already. It only feels like a few days have passed." Silver exclaimed as he looked around at the walls of the mess hall.
"Right?! I didn't think it would go this fast!" Coco remarked.
"I think it's best that it's over soon...I don't like how everyone's always staring at me...I think they're whispering about me..." Velvet uttered, bowing her head. Yatsu instantly started looking around, as if he was daring anyone to talk badly about his partner. Sean and Coco both stood up as well, the three of them in a silent agreement that whoever tried was going to get dropped.
          "Guys, please. It's fine, alright...? There's no need to get into trouble just for me..." Vel whispered as she looks down at her food silently.
          "Ohhhh trust us Bun-Bun. There's a need." Coco snarled as she kept looking around for anyone that was even glancing at them wrong.
           "Easy Coco. Don't start a fight you can't finish. All of us are still on thin ice with Ironwood." Fox pointed out as he ate.
           "Who said it was gonna be a fight?" Coco asked with a shrug.
            "Coco, enough. Listen to your partner." Silver ordered as the trio sat back down.
            "Look...I appreciate you guys looking out for me, but it's fine. I'm used to it anyway..." Velvet uttered.
            "Still doesn't make it right, Vel." Sean retorted as he pushed his food away, no longer having an appetite.
"You alright, Sean?" Lia asked softly.
"Yeah...I'm just worried." he replied honestly, staring down at the table.
           "About Ivory?" she asked, gently placing her hand on his shoulder. Sean nodded his head slowly, his concern for his friend engraved on his face. Just yesterday he had helped her find out the truth about Ink's death, and now he was worried about the toll it was taking on her mind. Yatsu had come to him privately that morning and said she hadn't gotten up, and when he had offered to bring her breakfast, she had told him no. Sean knew that finding out the truth about what had happened had hurt Ivory, but he also felt like he knew her well enough to know that she was dealing with this in her own way, and no one could coax her until she was ready.
            "Hey...she's tough, okay? She'll be okay. Yeah...it might take some time...but she'll fight through it..." Lia soothed as she rubbed his shoulder. Her head suddenly jerked to the side as something hit her, causing her to hold the side of her head as the apple that had just been thrown bounced to the floor. Sean whipped around so fast that he almost pulled something in his neck. His vision turned red as he saw Midas laughing at his table, acting like nothing was wrong with what he just did. Sean stood up despite Lia, Yatsu, and his teammates trying to hold him back. He picked the apple up off the floor, and walked over towards Midas' table, slamming it down and crushing it, spraying Midas with the juice from the crushed apple.
           "You dropped this.." he snarled, trying to keep himself calm but failing.
           "Nope. Pretty sure I just threw it out." Midas declared cockily. Sean allowed himself a smirk as he slammed his hands down on the table and got in Midas' face.
             "What the hell is even your problem with us, huh? I thought you were supposed to be professional for your year." Sean pointed out, which only caused Midas to chuckle.
             "You're funny, you know that? You honestly think that you, or any of your little crew over there deserve my attention? Or my respect? That virus must've fried your brain a bit if you think that. My team, we're the best students in the Academy. Everyone here knows it. Best grades, best combat efficiency, best results. And the General thinks that we need help? From a bunch of peasants like you?! Gimme a damn break." Midas declared, but that was the last thing he could say as Sean grabbed the back of Midas' head and slammed it into the table as hard as he could. The egotistical 4th year recoiled and fell back onto the floor as he held his nose while Sean stood over him. Kara and Lia were suddenly there, pushing Sean back and away from Midas as more Academy students stood up to watch the action.
          "SAY THAT AGAIN! I DARE YOU!" Sean bellowed as his girlfriend and his best friend tried to separate him from Midas.
          "Sean, Sean that's enough!" Kara shouted.
          "Sean...hey, hey. Look at me...he is not worth it okay? He's trying to rile you up to get you in trouble..." Lia uttered, her voice wasn't even angry, it was soothing, and calm. Midas began to laugh as he stood back up.
"Listen to your girl, Hawthorne. You're already on thin ice. Would hate to see her get dragged down with you." Midas taunted. Lia turned around, her green eyes glowing with venom.
"The only person that's about to go down, will be you in 3 seconds if you don't shut the hell up." she threatened as she stood in front of Sean.
"You truly believe that YOU are the best? Bullying and berating others, talking down to people not from Atlas, insulting someone's home, and trying to start fights? The only thing you've proved to those of us on the outside like me, is that you're the most immature and weak minded Academy student here. If anyone on your team is the weak link Midas, it's you." Lia declared, her voice defiant as she looked up at the taller Atlesian 4th year. Midas stared down at her, poker faced, then scoffed as he backhanded her. Lia's head jerked to the side as she felt the side of her face where she had just been slapped, but she wasn't worried about herself. She immediately turned around to try and stop Sean who had gone completely ballistic at seeing Midas put his hands on her. Sean tore out of Kara's grip as he launched forward, careful to avoid Lia as he speared Midas to the ground and began driving his fists into Midas' face. He could see nothing but red, his blood was burning, like his Semblance had activated inside his body. He had barely landed three hits on Midas before someone lifted him off of the 4th year student like he weighed nothing.
"I believe that's enough my friend. No sense getting into more trouble..." Yatsu declared as he held Sean in the air by the back of his jacket with one arm.
"He deserves it, Yatsu!" Sean roared as he tried to use his Semblance to blast his way out.
"I completely understand that, but do you remember what we discussed?" Yatsu asked him calmly, but Sean did not want to listen to his friend this time. He felt Lia's arms wrap around his waist as she hugged him tightly, trying to get him to calm down.
"Please...Sean it's alright...I'm fine...he isn't worth it..." she coaxed, trying to get through to the fiery 1st year.
"What's going on in here?" Jet asked as he walked in with the rest of his team.
"Your teammate just slapped one of our friends." Shira declared angrily as she stood up, ready to defend her teammate. Jet sighed and looked at Midas as he picked himself up off the floor.
"I'm afraid...you'll have to forgive Midas for his actions. He still hasn't grasped the concept of lines that shouldn't be crossed." Jet replied apologetically.
"Ohhhhh he did more than cross a line, Jet!!!!" Sean shouted angrily as he glared at the Atlesian 4th year team.
          "I can understand your anger, Slick. It was justified. But there was no need to attack my-" Jet replied, but Sean was done. He was absolutely done with Jet following orders and regulations like a damn robot, not putting Midas in his place when he should've, and not deciding for himself when he should've been able to.
"No you know what, Jet? I've had it. I am sick of you just defending your teammate when he's clearly been in the wrong since we got here. I'm sick of you blindly following orders and not caring about your own team, who should matter more than any damn order you're given, regardless of where the orders come from. And I am especially sick, of you being nothing but a lap dog for a man who doesn't even give a damn! You push yourself day in and day out to please a man who's more machine than human, and for what?! For a Kingdom that would sooner see you die to further line their pockets?!" Sean exclaimed angrily.
"Sean, that's enough..." Kara warned, but he wasn't done.
"No, I'm just getting started. Why does Midas get off the hook for what he's done, and yet I have to stay quiet when all I've done since I got here was stand up for my friends and my home?! Why do we have to take his crap lying down?! To inflate his ego? Nah, I'm not taking that anymore." he declared as he used his Semblance to flameport out of Yatsu's grip and in front of Jet.
"Midas is always calling your team the best. Why don't you finally prove it to me? I'm officially challenging you to a fight, Jet!" Sean announced. The leader of STON glared at him, but his face remained calm.
"I'm not fighting you, Slick. You're not thinking straight. Let's all just-" he replied, but he was once again cut off by Castor.
"No, actually I think he's about as clear headed as he's ever gonna get. Why does your teammate get away with slapping mine, huh?!" he asked angrily.
"Castor, stand down. That's enough." Silver ordered as he pulled on his partner's arm.
"Midas will be reprimanded for his actions. But that is not-" Jet explained, yet was interrupted again.
"Not what? Not the issue? Sure as hell seems like it to me!" Castor retorted.
"Castor, that's enough. Do not make this worse for everyone, alright?" Silver ordered, his tone becoming stern and commanding.
"Yeah why don't you listen to your friend? He's keeping you safe from-" Midas taunted, and at this point, Jet turned on his partner.
"Midas. For once in your life, just SHUT UP!" he shouted, the entire cafeteria falling silent as everyone stared at him, even Sean was surprised. The leader of Team STON turned back towards Sean, who had become so shocked that he had gone silent.
"You really think that a fight will settle this, Slick?" he asked, his tone completely different from before, his eyes narrowed. Sean's own eyes narrowed as he clenched his fists.
"I do. Maybe then you will understand what your oh so perfect General put me through...and maybe, just maybe, a blow to your team's ego will shut your partner up for good." he snarled. Jet sighed as he looked over at his teammates. Midas looked smug as always, but Storm and Tessa seemed like they didn't want this anymore then he did. While the three of them could understand Sean's justified anger for their teammate's actions, Jet and Tessa couldn't help but wonder what exactly Ironwood could've done to make the first year in front of them, hate them all so much. Storm knew more than them, so she stayed silent, it wasn't her story to tell.
            "Alright then...then there's only way we settle this. We settle this...in Amity Arena." Jet declared. Sean could hear everyone muttering and murmuring to each other about Jet's declaration, like it was some kind of curse.
             "Whoa...Jet hold on. That kind of fight is for when we're about to graduate...to request it now would be..." Storm protested, but for once her teammate didn't listen to her.
"If Slick wants to settle this so badly, then so be it. If this is to end in a fight, then at least let it be one that can be remembered." Jet affirmed, which made the two girls on his team sigh, while Midas just snickered.
              "A fight between you and me in the same floating arena the Vytal Festival takes place? Sounds perfect to me." Sean agreed, eager to finally show Jet what he was made of. Jet scowled at him, then walked off to prepare, his teammates flanking him. Midas was smirking, while Tessa wouldn't meet his eyes. Storm however, looked at him softly and apologetically with sympathy. Sean returned the gaze regretfully, he would've rather knocked out Midas again, but Jet? The only problem Sean even had with him was how he didn't think for himself. Lia watched them go, then turned back to Sean and gently hugged him, the Cobra Faunus resting her head against his chest.
"I know you were defending me...and I so appreciate that you did...but Sean, this fight doesn't need to happen...your brother wouldn't want this from you at all..." she uttered softly. He looked down at her, thinking long and hard about his answer before he responded.
"I'm not fighting him for Colt...I know that isn't what he'd want. I'm doing this...because he needs to realize that he's letting his blind loyalty to this place sabotage his opportunity to be the Huntsman he wants to be." he declared, which surprised the rest of his group slightly.
            "Wait, let me make sure I'm understanding this correctly. You're not doing this...because of what happened back home...? You're going through with this...because you think this will help Jet? That's your only reason?" asked Kya, summing up what he had said. Sean only gave his friend a nod, not saying another word.
"I must admit, I for sure thought this was about our home..." Shira pointed out.
"Yeah, same..." Kara agreed, but her best friend shook his head.
"Not this time...I can't blame Jet, or STON for what happened...that isn't fair. They were just Academy students at the time, not soldiers." he remarked, further shocking his friends.
"I need to go get ready..." he declared after a moment of silence, and he turned away from them and walked off to get ready for his fight with Jet.