FIVE ; OTHER WIZARDS

¤¤¤

¤¤¤

The next morning, the party continued their trek. Torrential rain began to pelt them, soaking all the way through their clothes and bringing their spirits down.

"Here, Mr Gandalf." Dori called. "Can't you do anything about this deluge?"

"It is raining master dwarf. And it will continue to rain until the rain is done!" Gandalf told him. "If you wish to change the weather of the world, you should find yourself another wizard."

"Are there any?" Bilbo asked.

"What?"

"Other wizards." Magauna clarified from where she rode behind the hobbit.

"There are five of us." Gandalf said. "The greatest of our order is Saruman, the White. Then there are the two blue wizards..." He paused, and looked back at the other two. "Do you know, I've quite forgotten their names."

"And who is he fifth?" Bilbo asked.

"Well, that would be Radagast, the Brown."

"Is he a great wizard, or is he..." Magauna smirked. "...More like you?"

Gandalf looked back at her. "I think he's a very great wizard. In his own way. He's a gentle soul who prefers the company of animals to others. He keeps a watchful eye over the vast forestlands to the East, and a good thing too, for always evil will look to find a foothold in this world."

¤¤¤

The group continued to travel the rest if the day. The eventually stopped at an old, ruined farm.

"We'll stop here for the night." Thorin told everyone. "Kili, Fili, look after the ponies. Make sure you stay with them." The two dwarves looked at each other strangely.

Magauna jumped off of her horse, and walked over to stand next to Gandalf, who looked around the ruined farm. "A farmer and his family used to live here."
"Oin, Gloin. Get the fire going." Thorin instructed.

"Right you are." Oin responded.

"I think it would be wiser to move on." Gandalf told the leading dwarf as he approached them. "We could make for the hidden valley."

Thorin sighed. "But I've told you already. I will not go near that place."

"Why not?" Magauna said. "The elves could help us, we could get food, rest, advice."

"I do not need their advice." He hissed.

"Thorin, we have a map we cannot read! Lord Elrond would be able to help us." She argued.

"Help? A dragon attacks Erebor. What help came from the Elves? Orcs plunder Moria, desecrate our sacred halls, the Elves looked on and did nothing! You ask me to seek out the very people who betrayed my grandfather, who betrayed my father. But I should expect nothing less from an elf, even if you're not one fully."

Magauna glared at him, and brought her fist up, but Gandalf pushed her arm down. "You are neither of them." Gandalf said to Thorin. "I did not give you that map and key for you to hold onto the past."

"I did not know they were your to keep." Thorin retorted.

Gandalf looked at him for a moment, before storming away in frustration. Bilbo, having seen him, looked back and forth between them. "Everything alright? Gandalf, where are you going?"

The wizard had walked past him. "To seek the company of the only one around here who's got any sense."

"And who's that?"

"Myself, Mr Baggins! I've had enough of dwarves for one day!"

Thorin looked away from Gandalf. "Come on, Bomfur, we're hungry."

Magauna had walked up beside Bilbo and Balin as they watched Gandalf walk off. Bilbo glanced at her. "Is he coming back?"

She said nothing, looked at him, and sighed.

¤¤¤

Author's Note

Author's Note

This chapter was super short, oops