TWENTY SEVEN ; THE FIVE ARMIES

¤¤¤

¤¤¤

"Oh, Valar."

Magauna's grip on her horse's reins were as strong as iron as the two armies advanced to the bottom of the slope where the Dwarves stood above them.

"Good morning!" Came the surprisingly cheery and thickly accented voice of the Lord of the Iron Mountains. Upon his hog, Dain trotted down the slope to a cleft of rock that stuck out, so that he was in front of the men and Elves. "How are we all?" Below him, the small army of men and women that stood between the Elves were shaking in their boots and warily holding out their spears.

"I have a wee proposition," Dain continued. "if you wouldn't mind giving me a few moments of your time."

There was a pause, in which Magauna narrowed her eyes and prepared for a row of screaming. And it seemed as though she predicted the future, because the next thing Dain said was loud and obnoxious and echoed off the mountains.

"Would you all consider...JUST SODDING OFF!" The men shrunk back as far as they could, while the Elves took steps forward and readied their spears threateningly. "ALL OF YOU! RIGHT NOW!"

"Stand fast!" Bard ordered his army from atop his horse, but it was clear his confidence had been lessened with the arrival of the new Dwarves.

Gandalf stepped forward from out of the protection of the armies. "Come now, Lord Dain!" He said, catching the Dwarf's attention.

"Gandalf?" Dain said, almost disbelieving. But then his voice turned deep with mischief. "Gandalf the Grey." The wizard in question nodded once. "Tell this rabble to leave, or I'll water the ground with their blood!"

Gandalf walked even further from the armies with determination. "There is no need for war between Dwarves, men, and Elves!" The wizard stopped once he was almost upon the ledge where Dain stood. "A legion of Orcs march on the mountain! Stand your army down!"

"I will not stand down before any Elf!" Dain exclaimed. "Not least this faithless, woodland sprite!" Dain jabbed his weapon in the direction of Thranduil, who sat upon his elk with forced nonchalance. "He wished nothing but ill upon my people. If he chooses to stand between me and my kin, I'll split his pretty head open!" Thranduil did nothing but for a small, high smile. "See if he's still smirking then!"

Then, without warning, Dain whipped around, and rode back up the slope to his army. Gandalf called out for him, but it was useless; the Dwarf had made up his mind. There was no going back.

Upon the mountain, the Company cheered in pre-triumph. Magauna couldn't dare to look back them. The mere thought made her stomach sick with guilt.