🌺🍀Chapter 10 : Puqi Shrine

"Mount Tong'lu has opened!"

"I wonder who is this ghost?"

"I heard it was a woman...?"

"No,no,no! It's not real! This isn't real!"

"[Name]...[Name]!"

"[Name]!"

A voice brought you back causing you to jolt and slowly your vision could make out a figure of two people. Slowly...the two figures appears to be San Lang and Xie Lian with a concern look on their faces.

"[Name] are you alright?" Xie Lian asked, his expression showed concern. You tried catching your breath, and managed to slow down the beating of your heart.

You nod your head and smiled. "I'm fine, don't worry about me. It's just a small nightmare." You says. The two doesn't seemed convinced by this but had to. Then you noticed Xie Lian and gave him a confused look. "Lian, how did you get here? And where are we?" You look at the surroundings and realize your group had reach the destination.

Xie Lian explained the day he had been collecting scraps from the village and he coincidentally rides the ox cart. Then he met San Lang and you on the hay by coincident. Now you three were stuck in the Ox cart in the middle of the night of the Ghost Festival. But they had made it out of the woods and escaped the ghost.The Ox cart had labourishly entered the village and got off the cart. Xie Lian went back around to woke the old man and advise him to keep the incident.

The three started walking to the nearly crooked and shaky shack Puqi Shrine. San Lang and Xie Lian can't help but notice the awfully quiet [Name] and looks gloom. The shrine brighten instantly by the red candle lit by Xie Lian.

Xie Lian spoke."[Name] is the dream still the same?" You puff a sigh and forced a smile. "Lian, I'm fine, it's just a nightmare." You lied taking the broom and sweep the floor. "So... Is there a bed?" Xie Lian silently took down the two scroll matt and unrolled it.

You smiled. "I hope you don't mind, we can squeeze a bit for the night"

"That works too!" San Lang said then he looks around. "Gege, aren't you missing something in this shrine?" [Name] had just finished sweeping and was kneeling down on the mat when he heard this. "Like a divine statue of a god?" You said. Xie Lian contemplated for a moment and came up with a solution. "I brought some paper and ink today. I'll paint a portrait tomorrow."

You blinked a few times in silence and exchanged looks with San Lang. Unexpectedly, you spoke up. "I'll paint you a portrait tomorrow." Startled, Xie Lian smiled. "Yo-You don't have to [Name]"

San Lang spoke. "I know how to paint one. Need my help Ah-[Name]" Xie Lian can't help but sigh in vain as the two of them have joined forces and insisted on painting a portrait of the Crown Prince of Xianle.

[Name] had laid down on the mat along with Xie Lian as he had removed his boots and outer robes. You neatly folded the robe and used it as a pillow when you felt a stare from behind. Turning around, you saw San Lang gaze past you then to the cursed shackle on Xie Lian's ankle. Xie Lian must've noticed this and covered it with his hand. Thankfully San Lang didn't say anything and gaze to you. "Let's rest. Good night" You said and laid in between them.

Xie Lian blew out the candle and it all became dark once again. You turn to your side to face Xie Lian and snuggled close to him. He chuckled and move the blanket close to your body. And sleep together...

A few hours had passed, you've been tossing and turning slightly, unable to fall asleep. Xie Lian had already fallen and was sleeping peacefully. One last turn you sit up immediately and put on your outer robe and left the shrine. The cold wind past your figure and you quietly crouch down the porch.

Your heart is racing fast, you don't wanna dreamt about the memory you had forgotten many years ago but it was brought back again. This was the reason why you fear the sight of blood. The former Ghost White Maiden Fiend...

"[Name]?" You almost jumped in surprise when you heard Hua Cheng called you. Turning around, you saw him with concern look in his eyes. "San Lang...why are you up?" He smiled and wave the paintbrush. "Did you have a nightmare again?" You hesitate for a moment and shake your head. "No, it's not. I just can't...sleep..." You mentally slap your face for the fake excuse.

Hua Cheng chuckles, crouching down to you. "I know you are hiding something, but I know you'll tell me someday and I am all ears if you want someone to talk to..." He said, placing a hand on your shoulder. You smiled in relief. "Thank you, San Lang..."

"General [Name]..." You stood up and held two fingers to your head.

"Ling Wen? What is it?" You asked the civil god.

"General [Name], Lord Wind Master requested a friend to accompany him to the Crescent Pass and recommend you to him," Ling Wen paused for a moment making you confused.

You were about to ask her why it's taking too long when she spoke again. Ling Wen cleared her throat. "My apologies, Lord Wind Master is expecting you in the upper court. You don't have to come if you don't want to, General."

And with that, the communication ended in silence. You held a fist under your chin, contemplating for a moment. Turning around, you entered the shrine.

"San Lang..."