The Eyes Said It All

I walked through the corridors, chewing on a burrito and reading the news on my phone. The media was mad at the inflation of prices as of late. I wouldn't be surprised if riots broke out all across the country anytime soon.

"Jason!" I heard my wife call after me. "Where did you keep all the cheese?"

"Why, I kept it in the fridge," I said a bit absent-mindedly, scrolling through the article, not paying much attention to her nagging.

"Well, if it were that simple, I wouldn't have asked you," she said with a heavy sigh.

"I'm sure you kept it somewhere for later use, then forgot about it." I smirked and snorted.

"Hey, don't be ridiculous," she came from the kitchen and stood in front of me, her arms crossed. "You know I can't make lasagna without it. If you don't help me now, you can eat biscuits for dinner for all I care."

I frowned. "Come on, now. It isn't my fault you misplaced the item." I pocketed my phone and swiftly entered the kitchen. I opened the fridge and a waft of cool air hit my face soothingly. "I can smell the cheese." I turned around. "It means it was taken out not too long ago."

"Well, I didn't take it out," she said.

"Hmm, of course you didn't," I mocked.

"Jason!" She was incredulous.

I chuckled. "Haha, okay sorry. But, you do have a bad habit of forgetting, Jane."

She looked away, probably a bit embarassed.

I sighed. "Do I really have to go find it right now?" I said in a reluctant manner, snapping my joints to relieve myself of the ache.

"You want dinner or not," she said with her eyebrows raised.

I clicked my tongue and left the room. I gave a quick search all around, the rooms on the upper floor and even in the bedrooms. Very odd, that I could not find the cheese anywhere.

"Jane, this is absurd. It was at least half a kilo."

"That I know."

"Then how can it vanish into thin air?"

She shrugged. "I don't know. You tell me."

"You aren't helping at all." I was starting to get a bit mad at her.

She sighed and nodded her head in a frustration that I now shared as well, and walked away.

"Where are you going?" I asked her. She was not going to leave this ordeal all on me.

"As much as I hate to do this, I am going to enquire Lisa about it."

"You don't think she stole it, do you?" I said, a bit awestruck.

"We have to consider the possibility. And, maybe it's something else. Who knows?" She shrugged again and went downstairs to the basement.

I didn't like this. Lisa knew better than to do something so cheap. She didn't expect to get by with this, did she? It was unbelievable that she'd do something like this after being a trusted maid for years.

I tapped my foot in frustration, and blew my hair off my face. After a while, I could no longer keep a cool head and walked briskly downstairs to where my wife was right now.

"I can't miss the interview. The finance minister has got to do some explaining with the prices. It's in half an hour, and now I have to deal with this nonsense," I muttered under my breath as I came near the end of the flight of stairs and could see Jane and Lisa talking.