A Warm Breeze In Winter

"It speaks to me, you know..." the words pattered out of his lips like fresh rain on dry grass.

A head slowly moved at him. The gesture, an act of attention, an act of motivation. Her eyes trained on him, yearning for that moisture the words promised. "Well, what does?" Ever so innocently did she put her thoughts into words. Eloquence, he had known for a long time, longed for yet longer.

"The wind." His eyes met hers. "It speaks to me." They were wistful eyes filled with something deep. The depth of which she had yet to venture.

A giggle escaped her body, so tiny yet so profound. "Yeah? And what does it say?"

"There comes the hard part." A pregnant pause befell. And yet... "I don't know." That was what followed.

Suddenly surprised, her lips parted, eventually to hang her mouth agape. "Yet you know it speaks to you?" She chuckled. "How about it then? Is it in a language you're yet to learn or..." The words trailed off into uncountable possibilities of what meaning they lurched to reach... Yet the boy, now staring at the sky was distant somehow, to those very words. It trickled a faint drop of anxiety in her feminine and caring heart.

"You're scaring me, Carl. What is it you're talking about really?" The words were no longer that gentle as they were before.

Still distant, he looked over the mountains, the breeze promising of spring to arrive sooner than they had hoped for. For preparations were not yet underway. For who liked to shiver in the unforgiving cold, and betray their hearts that sought warmth?

"I feel something, Aisha. It's not concrete, nor tangible... I can't put it into words but," he shrugged, "I know it's real. I know I feel it. I...know I hear it. And...it's not scary as it may seem to be. It feels...amiable. It promises something to me I can't quite connect yet."

"Something profound." Aisha mumbled, involuntarily.

"Most likely. Yes." He smiled, now that she was better acquainted with the idea he aimed to convey. His hand gently reached her cheek and brushed past her ears. She embraced the warmth as she closed her eyes. He then held on to her hand resting on the grass and spoke, "It's mysterious, and thus, exciting."

"It won't affect us in any way would it?" Her worrying eyes searched for assurance from his. A subtle wave of relief washed over her upon seeing that his smile still lingered.

"Not to be an insinuation, I hope. But, maybe something more."

"A commandment? Something creeping towards a revelation, maybe." Unsure, she spoke her immediate thoughts.

"Whatever it maybe be, it holds a promise. And I trust it." His grip, became tighter, enriching the warmth in this not so warm world. Was it the winter to blame though?

"Our villages are far," she enounced.

"They are." He concorded.

"And now you speak of revelations..." Her eyes narrowed.

"It could very well be!" Carl pressed.

Aisha frowned in reply.

"Come on, brush it off! Don't worry so much." He gave a cheeky grin, while waving his hand.

"Would we truly be alright?" In almost a pleading tone, the girl let those words escape. For she had seen enough to fear betrayal before it even came to her.

"We trust each other, don't we?" Carl pressed.

"But can we trust the world, the people, the elements?"

Carl took a moment. Then ever so shrewdly something took a hold of him. He got up. Flustered, she followed suit. "W-where are we going?"

"You like adventure?" He looked back, stopping momentarily.