Morph

"Well, couldn't you put it off until later?"

"Tomorrow comes faster and faster. These days it feels like snapshots. I don't even remember doing anything yesterday."

"That's a bit... concerning "

"Right? My mother says the same thing."

Patching up reality, she closed her life in a box.

Her friend stood with her arms akimbo, distraught over the hell's breeze blowing unwelcomingly through the room which until yesterday looked like any other place a teenager would call home.

"How far would it take you?" Her eyes danced like embers in pitch black.

"As far as my fingertips could reach out. I can't grasp at straws. They do the job for me. I can only answer in binary. A simplistic 'Yes' or 'No'. The logic behind it, however substantial can't govern anything beyond that, because the cause can affect the effect, but nothing beyond that. It's inconsequential at this point."

Her friend looked away, unable to bear the weight of her emotions any longer. "You'd miss it here, won't you." She clenched her fists. "Oh, I'm an idiot for even bringing it up."

She smiled, an innocence almost haunting to witness. "Who cares anymore?"

"I do."

"And what does it matter?"

"Maelin, you may never return, it does matter! It matters more than most things you have done upto this point."

Her eyes were like constellations, etching a foreign sky. A shooting star shot past it, crashing on the floor in a puddle.

"Sera, all I want is for humans to be more... human."

"And if the next frontier seeks to end ourselves as we know it? Would that be truly a human self, leaving mocking fragments of our reality?"

She paused, unable to mask her rasping breaths.

"We won't end ourselves. We will begin anew."

"But that's-"

"It's time. Please hurry into the car." An unemotional voice let out from beyond the door, from beyond her reality.

"It is time. Time for the next step."

And so she stepped, onward and onward, evolving into numbers. Into digits of her own. Choices a string of probabilities, and morphing eventually into her binary future.

"The tests, they are of our own. It's God's will where we go from here. The next step must be taken."

Nukes bombarded her neighbourhood.

It really was time.

Before evolution came to a halt, to reimagine it, into a future that would survive.

Even if they did not.