My Little Adventure

This is a memoir taking place in my locality of West Bengal that I wrote down after the incident ':D
__________________________________

The bag swished in my hand, my feet apace. My breathing the tiniest bit heightened. I should be able to spot it. I know her.

The cool air found an opening near my belly and my shirt fluttered in the blowing wind. A soothing breeze- the city alive in its every molecule. The times I got to get outside and go on errands now felt more like a blessing than a chore.

I turned the curb and walked briskly. At the next corner, my pace weakened, and gradually I came to a stop. No good, I missed the shop in all this hurry. It would be a waste of time if I turn back now.

I looked behind.

My expression eased.

This seems to be a better option anyways. So what if I forgot to order the chops at the stall I was supposed to? The one behind me was the better option anyways. I would order now, and while returning, take the hot pockets of goodness on the way home. Why walk in the opposite direction to order from our usual spot? Unnecessary hassle. This was more productive.

I walked back and leant over the glass pane, shielding the customers from the heat of the burning pan. "Mashi, I'd need twelve vegetable chops. Could you make so many? I'd come back in five minutes," I said in a bit of a rush. The woman glanced at me reconfirmed my order and nodded.

I took off.

Don't panic, I told myself. Just keep your eyes open and sharp at the surroundings. Get outside your head, control your body and your gaze. You'd just need to look around a bit at the worst if you don't spot it rightaway.

With long fathoms, I trod my way up the road, glancing at the shops to my sides. I went up the slant of the road, getting closer and closer to the area where I ought to become more alert. I could see the main road now.

My pace lessened and I processed everything I looked at from one side to the other. No, not here...is it in some other lane to the sides?

I was getting worried. I passed the place, went down the slant and reluctantly stopped. Maybe she didn't open the shop today. Then again, what if I missed? While searching aimlessly I asked the man at the egg roll stall. "Kaku, where is the momo stall?"

The man chewing tobacco peeked at me while frying the parathas and instucted me in the reverse direction, where I had just come from. Did I really miss it? I gulped. "Is it in some lane going inwards to that side?" I pointed with my pupils. He shook his head and repeated his response.

I blew out the air through my nose and went up the slant again. No. I couldn't find it. Should I take rolls instead? Papa did tell me to bring rolls if the momo shop hasn't opened.

I decided to look some more. I asked two ladies in a tea stall about it.

"Momo?" One lady said in a high pitched country tone. "Oh, she hasn't opened today I think. She sits there-" she pointed a finger and I followed it. It was roughly in the same direction where she used to sit previously. But she had changed her location a bit. That's what Papa had said. So maybe it was- ugh, I didn't care.

"Oy! Ei Nepo!" She shouted in that cawing voice of hers. It pierced my ears. Whoa. Nepo? That was what people informally called the Nepalis. I turned around. What a miracle! There was Shobha di! Okay, she wasn't my didi and I should have probably called her 'aunty' and I would have if there was the need, but while mentioning about her at home, or rather to any other person, I would either dump the honorifics altogether or use the ones my parents used. It was a bad habit of mine.