The heart never forgets

A/N: YES, you're seeing this right. It's finally an update. XDD TWO MONTHS of waiting, I know, and I deeply apologize. ^^

Later on, you'll see that Ezio mentions the name "Giorgio la Pira". He was Mayor of Florence in the 50's, more precisely, from 1951 to 1957. He was among the main personalities who was set about rebuilding Florence after most of it was destroyed in the Ally bombing during WW2. He died in Florence, in 1977, and is now resting in a tomb, in the San Marco Basilica.

Anyhoo, hope you guys enjoy it!! ^^

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

My dearest Aurora, my dearest Leandro,

I couldn't help but sigh as I yet again began a journal entry with those exact same words. Would I ever let them go? Of course I wouldn't, I shook my head with a light, sorrowful smile. A mother never forgets...

In another life, I would've began this journal with small talk. "How have you been"s, or even "How are the children"s....but alas, you and I both know that this isn't a normal life. These aren't normal circumstances. Tonight, Altaïr's gonna be talking to Rebecca about the flash drive. About Lucy. And I fear her reaction. From what I've been told, the two are really close friends. I fear she might snap and jeopardize this whole operation. "Then don't tell her", you'd tell me so matter-of-factly. "Don't get innocent people involved". But we need her, baby girl. We don't know whether the information is encrypted. Protected. She might be the only one capable of helping us right now.

So for now, I wait and write, in hopes of making the clock tick a bit faster. But its effects are only semi-apparent. For in exchange of the heavy silence in the bedroom, wild, conflicting thoughts rage on inside my head. Do you know why, piccini (little ones)? Can you imagine the raging thoughts going through your mamma (mommy)'s head? Well, I'll tell you. Soon....Soon....Soon, it'll be our wedding anniversary. I know it may sound like a petty sort of thing, given all that we're going through. Given all that Ezio's going through. I know. I know all of it. But can you blame my selfish heart from believing that somehow, Ezio might remember how important of a day it was and make something special? Was it...was it really that much to ask...? I know what you would've said. It's not...it's not the same Ezio. Yet...he's so close to me. For once, I feel like things might be able to start over. I feel...better with him around. Like one day; things might be better. Like one day, we might have the peace we've craved for in our youths. But the Brotherhood is still always in our lives. The Brotherhood is still our priority. And if my time runs out in 3 months, then I'll do my damn hardest to try and fix it.

Things just couldn't get any worse, now could they...? With everything going on, I...I wish you were here. Both of you. I can't help but look back on that joyous day of September, and I keep remembering your innocent giggling. Your hugs...the delight of a 4 year-old's kisses....You had to grow up so fast, my babies...you were thrown headfirst into a cruel, harsh world...If only I had been able to shelter you from it... You know, sometimes I do wonder what would've been had the Attack of Monteriggioni not happened. Had Cesare not attacked, that fateful morning. How fast would you two have grown up then? Most certainly, you would've been able to keep your precious innocence for a few more years. Mario would've taught you how to fight. And a few years later, who knows. Your father and I would've invited you to join us. Who knows....the world is filled with endless possibilities, after all. In another world, who knows. That might've been exactly what would've happened.