Chapter Five

*Nicole's POV*

Matt met me at the door when I arrived.
He swooped me into the biggest hug.
"I'm so sorry. I was an ass. I don't know what I was thinking. I can't believe I put my hands on you!" 

Whoaa, after the last week. I wasn't expecting this.
I hugged him and said I forgive him. Because that's what we are taught. Always forgive, men are human and make mistakes, women are divine and forgive those men.
He carried my bags in and dropped them in the room. 
He told me all about the week with the kids and how he found a new respect for my stay at home position.  I giggled in appreciation.  I thought it was all going back to normal.
I thought about what Laura said. The stalemate era.  What was I feeling all of a sudden. Maybe it's jet lag maybe it's stress induced from the day before leaving on vacation.  Something is wrong though.  I feel it.

Matt was in the shower and I'm putting clothes away as his phone rings. Then a txt.  Then another call.
Maybe it's my mom checking on him and the kids I laugh. 
I grab his phone, but it's unknown number. I answer the phone and get hung up on. Hmm weird. So I look at the texts and my stomach drops...
"Why can't I see you. Is the princess home?"
Next txt ..
"Mmmm can't wait until tomorrow. I miss the things you can do with that tongue !"

As I'm placing his phone back on the nightstand he walks out the bathroom sees me with his phone in my hand and that's how I got the black eye. 
"You see you cause this. You drive me to this point. You nag and whine. You snoop and go through my things."
" I caused this? I did this?  You're messing around and I cause this ?"
"Look I'm sorry Nicole. Let me put some ice on your eye. You really need to know I'm not messing around she's crazy and just trying to cause problems. You see I never have texted with her. She's crazy, when would I ever find the time. Your friends would know since they are married or either dating my friends!"   When he says that it does make sense that he couldn't have time to cheat I have to concur to his point.

Fool me once shame on you fool me twice shame on me

I'm sitting on the bed in shock. He hit me. He hit me. My eye is swelling up as I sit here.  He's sorry though. He says I caused this. I nag. I whine.  I don't know when I did, am I doing it now ?  I'm reflecting on all of it.  A reaction comes from an action.  I'm the action he's saying he's the reaction.  What did I do. When did I do it how am I so responsible for causing this?
The subject of the txt and call is dead. To bring it up again can cause another reaction and I'm in too much shock to think clearly about anything right now, because I'm beginning to fear the reactions of my actions.  So I go to sleep.