Chapter Fourteen

*Nicole's POV*

I can't take anymore of this.
I call Laura and she picks up on the first ring.
"I was just going to call you bestie!"
I giggle. It's the first time in weeks I giggled.
I miss my friend she's been so busy and is living her best life single and successful.

"Lunch ?" I ask. She's quick to say yes.
I'm sitting in our favorite deli shop when she arrives in all her beauty, elegance and confidence. She's not arrogant, she's worked hard to get where she is on her own accord and she's proud, as she should be.
Her smile lightens the deli up.
After a huge hug we sit and look over the menu.
"How have you been, I feel like it's been months. How are the kids. How's Matt ?"

"The kids are great I say. Matt is good. ".
She's not my best friend for no reason.
"What's bothering you Nikki. Talk to me please !"

I shuffle in my seat. And twiddle my fingers. Should I say it. Tell her all of it. I need to talk to someone because Matt's control is pushing me down so hard that I'm losing myself.

"Matt's been cheating on me for months." I blurt. "He threatened taking the kids from me, he's disgusting and it's killing me slowly Laura. I put on a fake smile and do as he asks. I've had to accept his other woman which by the way was the chic from the club that one night that caused the commotion at the end of the table. Her name is "Jessssica " !" I emphasize her name with disgust.

Laura is still. Looking at me with sincere sympathy.
"Nikki , she grabs my hand. My god I'm sorry I didn't see this or haven't been here for you."
I put my other hand on hers. "You couldn't, I've become the best actress in my own lifetime horror movie." I say it with a little humor. Because if you can't laugh at something then you have become dead inside.
I refuse to believe the old me is dead. It may be laying dormant but it can't be dead. I'll find her and if I can't I know Laura can.

"All the bruises. That was his doing wasn't it?" She asks the question but it's more a statement.
I drop my gaze to the table. Because now I have to apologize for all the lies I've told to her as well. Disgusted with myself, I look up to meet her gaze.
"Yes. The arm was the first. He grabbed me hard. I made myself believe, with his help, that I caused his behavior. There's been more but the last was a few weeks ago when I called him out on his cheating and I received this scar, showing her my forehead , and fractured ribs."
" I had to agree to his terms of his affair and abide by his demands. I've endured watching him be pleasured while over the phone and endured her scent on him when we slept, to add to my humiliation"
"I can't lose my kids Laura. I can't, I'll die if I do."I sobbed.
Laura came to me and hugged me so tight I let all my tears out all my worries. I felt so safe in the arms of my best friend a feeling I hadn't felt in months.
After a minute or so of me gaining composure, she began txting on her phone. "Great " I thought. This is proof I'm clinically insane, not even my best friend feels this warrants any attention.
" There " Laura says calmly putting down her phone. I look at her questioning her single word.
"I've set up my staff to have my condo In Summerlin prepared for you and the kids to arrive within 4 hours. Let's go pack your shit. I'm coming, you don't need any furniture just the kids and your personals. I've also sent a txt to my company's attorney, who owes me big and who has a crush on me that I will say is mutual. He agreed to help you out at no cost to you!"

A few taps on her phone and flick of her wrist. She's planned my escape. God I love my best friend.
Just like that we began our ride to the house.