Chapter 13

The only thing Azriel couldn't hear was the beating of his heart which made him think that he had died. But he could hear the crackling of the fire, the crickets inside and outside the tunnel and he could see Arcane's heavy gaze on him. In those moments, he actively wished for death.

Eventually, Arcane said, "Azriel?"

He spoke like someone shrouded in heavy fog was pushing past it. "Yes?"

"If you don't kiss me right now, I will kill you." Her voice was void of any emotions.

"I'm sorry?" He frowned.

"You should be." She nodded.

"No, I-" he almost fell into the fire but caught himself. "That's not what I was saying. What were you saying?"

"I said that if you don't kiss me at the count of three, I will reject the bond." She blinked slowly and held up her palm. "One-" she hadn't even folded one of her fingers before he pressed his mouth against hers.

Her back hit the wall and she threw her arms around his neck. One of Azriel's hand was resting on her waist while the other one cupping her cheek. Her fingers locked around his curls and she pulled him forward so their chests were pressed together. She let out a ragged breath as his tongue explored the inside of her mouth. Their bodies fitted together like they were moulded for each other.

She abruptly pushed him back, "I'm not going to fuck you on this filthy floor." She said flatly.

He laughed, "I wasn't going to. Why is your mind always in the gutter? Try to be a little respectful for once."

She waved a finger in his face, her lips still wet and swollen, and said, "I don't care how used you are to the respectful "oohs" and "aahs". I'm going to objectify you to filth, spymaster." 

He pressed his mouth to her neck and laughed quietly. "As you wish."

"Are you not going to ask me how I knew about the bond?" She mumbled while playing with his curls.

He paused before saying, "Your magic is different than mine."

She nodded slowly, "It's like a tingle in my chest. I didn't know I could feel like that."

He huffed, "It was like a kick in the face. Why do I get the worst of it?"

Arcane kissed his ear with a smile, "You want me to have the worst of it? That's not really romantic."

He chuckled and gathered her closer, "It didn't feel good is what I'm saying."

Arcane pulled back, "We need to have a talk about your communication skills. They're awful."

"Why?" Azriel frowned.

"You just said that having a bond with me didn't feel good!" She accused him and he opened and closed his mouth a couple times before saying, "I didn't-"

"It's a real struggle for you, isn't it?" She looked at him with sympathy and patted his shoulder.

"I know how to speak. I don't know how to articulate this particular thing." He whispered. "I thought you would reject the bond."

She shrugged and grinned cheekily. "Me too. You annoy me so much."

"Why didn't you?" He cradled her face in his hands. Something soared inside his heart and he stopped speaking before he choked on his tears.

"Do I need a reason? I haven't accepted it yet."

"You will." He smiled.

"What if I don't?" There was a hint of challenge in her voice and she tugged him forward by his collar. "What then, spymaster?"

He raised his eyebrows and looked into her glittering grey eyes. "Is this a challenge, moonshine?"

"Something like that." She said innocently. "I might reject the bond. You don't know that. What will you do if I did that, Azriel?"

His heart twisted at the thought and he pressed a kiss to her shoulder. "I'm serving you now and I'd serve you then. Till the end of time."

"Till the end of time." She whispered. "That's sounds awfully long. Are you going to argue with me for that long? Won't you get tired?"

"Of you? Never." Silence once again fell upon the tunnel and he focused on Arcane's breaths. In and out. In and out.

His shirt between her fingers grew warm. "Arcane? Calm down." She didn't answer and he was sure she was going to burn off his skin. "Arcane? You need to stop." Her hands fell away from his back and she sniffed once. He brushed her hair back. "It's alright. Calm down."

She nodded but didn't say anything for a while. Then, she laughed, "Do you know about the forgotten gods?"

Azriel nodded. "Yes. What about them?"

"I think they are in love." She leaned her head against his. "Maybe that's why they disappeared, this world is too cruel to their love."

He thought about his scars and Arcane's pained expression when she bit into the air this afternoon and whispered, "It is." He agreed. "Do you want to disappear too?"

She shook her head and smiled, "Our love is much more powerful." Kissing him deeply,   she turned around and rested the back of her head on his chest. "Don't fall asleep on me." She stretched. "We have a long day ahead of us."

As Arcane curled up in his arms and slept, Azriel looked up the small slits and caught the glimpse of the deep blue sky. That night he was sure that the gods were in love too. "I couldn't sleep even if I wanted to. You devour my nights." He mumbled and kissed Arcane's forehead.