Epilogue

No sound came from beyond the rocks and Arcane's hair disappeared from his sight as soon as the bond went dark. A sound like two boulders colliding came from the shields as it locked into place but Azriel's feet moved swiftly from the ground and to the large rocks obscurity his mate. He sank to his knees at the sight of the silver dress pooling around her cold body.

Gathering her up in his arms, he frantically searched for her pulse that he knew wasn't there. No breath escaped her lips and a scream tore through him at the lack of rise and fall in her chest.

He didn't become aware of Feyre who was sobbing against Rhysand's chest until later on. In that moment, he felt darkness rise inside him like never before. The shadows engulfed the two and his insides ached at the absence of Arcane's delightfulness ringing inside his chest.

He was too afraid to even look at her face in fear that the sight of it would drive him insane beyond reason but, pressing her against his chest, he sobbed until his throat was raw. Not even a flicker of movement came from her as he rocked her back and forth in his arms.

There was an ache spreading through him that he was sure would also kill him and bring an end to this terrible nightmare so that he could see her again among the stars. Maybe the gods were scared of their love too.

"You said our love is too powerful." He sobbed as his tears soaked Arcane's hair, "I thought it would make this beast of a world tremble." Choking on his own tears, he continued, "Don't leave me here. I would not make it without that love on this earth. Please don't leave me here."

She seemed so dull that Azriel was sure she had taken all the moonlight with herself, as a part of her soul, so he was sure there was a part of her that was out there. Somewhere among he stars, he would find her again, still bright and happy.

His head felt like it would explode but his heart was numb. There was nothing left to feel, nothing in this wretched world was worth having feelings for. He wasn't entirely sure he even had a heartbeat, maybe his heart would stop on it's own, making it easier to be with Arcane. Dying like that, by her side, didn't suddenly seem so cruel.

She had restored the shield and Velaris was safe once again, but it would never be beautiful again. There was a rising darkness that threaten to consume Azriel's mind and soul and he wasn't so sure that he would even want to save himself. He would burn the world down if it kept her from him and that would still mean nothing to him.

He couldn't see much of the ground but a last piece of her on the earth - her bracelet, was still twinkling among the rocks.

His breathing came more tamed as something Arcane had said dawned upon him. The bracelet was another source of her powers - her lifeblood.

He slid it onto her wrist and watched her for so much as a faint breath with desperation. Nothing happened for a long, long minute but hope was the last thing at his disposal and he refused to believe that Arcane gave up on them so quickly. She was nothing if not stubborn.

The sand shifted under his feet and he was confused at first before the air again turned warm. A grin spread across his lips and he looked at Arcane. She still didn't seem to be breathing but three was hope. If she was the only one who could use the bracelet then it meant that she was there. Azriel held her wrist, trying to locate a pulse but failed again. The air was searing hot now and he could faintly hear Rhysand saying something to him but he was too lost to care.

By the time Arcane gulped her first breath his skin was burning.

He cupped her face as she struggled to breathe and whispered her name. She groaned and rolled onto her side.

"Arcane, open your eyes." Azriel held her by her waist and wiped the sweat on her forehead.

She coughed up sand and reached out her hand for the source of the voice. He entwined his fingers with hers and rubbed her back. She wheezed one last time before peeling her eyes open. Her skin was red from the harsh wind and the sweat droplets on her face ran down her neck.

"I hate it here." She mumbled.

Azriel shook his head and laughed before pulling her into an embrace. "I hate it here too."

"It's okay." She patted his back weakly. "I'm here now. I'm sure my presence makes everything better."

"It does." He sniffed one last time before pulling back. "Don't ever do that again."

She nodded with her eyes half closed, "You know that if I lose this bracelet now, I will die right then, right? I don't have it in me to survive without it anymore."

Azriel nodded. "It's okay. Everything is okay." He said more to himself than to her. The shadows disappeared as soon as the storm in his mind subsided. He gathered her up in his arms and stood up.

Feyre rushed forward to her sister. "Astra! You're- you're alive." Her eyes were still meet with tears but she smiled.

"Tragically." Arcane replied and Feyre smacked her forehead.

"Let's get you to a medic, you scrawny little thing." Azriel shook his head at their exchange and stepped over the rocks.

"As soon as I can sit again, which will be very soon,-" she pointed a threatening finger at both her mate and her sister. "-you two should run for the hills." She set her eyes on the High Lord. "Don't blame me if I kill your mate."

"I see nothing, I hear nothing." Rhysand held up his hands.

Arcane collapsed in Azriel's arms. "What are we going to do now?"

"What do you mean?" He frowned.

"I mean, do I just sit around being in love with you? No offence, but that sounds extremely boring."

Feyre bumped her shoulder with Azriel's, "I think a wedding is in order."

"Gross." Arcane scoffed.

"We're getting married." Azriel grinned at her.

"You haven't even proposed to me." She glared back.

"We're. Getting. Married." She yelped when Azriel swung her side to side and gripped onto his shoulder. With one last curse under her breath she fell into a deep slumber well before they returned to the house of wind.