Chapter Thirteen

It had been a few weeks since the day of the tournament, and the day when Hazel collapsed.

The bey club was back to its training, and after Shu had won his ticket to the national tournament, they all trained hard for a certain event: the qualifier tournament.

A consolation tournament was held for all of the bladers who failed to be the victor of the district events. The top eight in the tournament would win wild cards to the national event. So, motivation was running high in the Beigoma Academy club.

The storm of the dramatic tournament had subsided, excitement slowly mellowing to normalcy.

Except for Hazel.

She could not get the image of Hydra out of her mind. Just as technical inspiration hit her when she created her other beys, her vigor for the completion of her work would not cease until she had perfected every minute detail. There was no saving her from this cloud of duty. As the club was hard at work, training for their second chance, she was buried in her laptop, meticulously placing the design in data from the remnants of the vision she was thrust into. One part of her was terrified by her encounter with the golden serpent. But the other felt some sort of familiarity as if she'd known about it her whole life. She recalled each bey she had made in the past, each with its own experience.

Her first creation was Lost Longinus, the left-rotation bey. She remembered the magnificent blue dragon that had come to her in her dreams, flaunting his icy flames, purple eyes glittering intelligently. After working day in and day out, without sleep, running purely on the inspiration from her sleep-world, she had assembled a counter-clockwise creation with devastating power, unable to be held by the average blader, for its dragon-headed blades and intense spin speed made it uncontrollable. Lost Longinus was created when she was very young (hence her renowned status at a young age). Still, she believed that the bey must match the blader; this was a philosophy she held close to her heart. Her job allowed her to make beys for bladers who came for her, but occasionally, a stroke of genius would wash over her, rendering her useless to do anything but make that idea into a reality. And each time this spark was ignited, and the bey was created before the blader, she made it her goal to find the perfect blader to wield her creation as if an artist was hellbent on finding the perfect museum to hang his masterpiece. Lost Longinus was the first one to diverge her mind into a subconscious creative epiphany. And, as she listened to her inner calling to create the bey, she remembered walking into a gym, and meeting the fiery-haired youth with the piercing, violet eyes: a personification of the dragon-entity in her dreams. Now, that young boy she met was Lui Shirasagi, the number one blader in Japan, with his Nightmare Launch, reminiscent of the origin from her dreams.

The next masterpiece of hers came while she was in a meadow near her house, with no one around but the wind and the sun for companionship. She was relaxing in the golden sunlight, relishing in the pure, calm, lazy energy that resonated through her space. Suddenly, she was aware of the immense power of the land, how there was a hidden undertone of nature; powerful, terrifying, almost primal, as it drained the signs of civilization in its lasting embrace. And before she knew it, the golden dragon had made its presence known; a dragon of the sunlight: gentle, yet with the power to absorb the world in its presence. Drain Fafnir was born. And on a family trip to Spain, she found a sunny-haired, doe-eyed boy of the forest; one with nature, with the calm presence of an innocent breeze, but undeniably hiding the monstrous depths of a bestial being. Free de la Hoya, the Golden Boy, the best blader in the world, had emerged from his forest and into the history books.

Her last creation was Storm Spryzen. As she grew older and began to drift away from her business-oriented parents, she began to search for herself and her identity, yearning for balance in every aspect of her life. Spryzen was born from her idealistic desire for perfection; the perfect representation of all-around greatness. And with this creation in her hand, she made her move to Japan, away from her home, and into the vast land of opportunity in front of her. With Spryzen, instead of finding the blader, her heart told her to leave it in the hands of a local bey shop, and let the fates guide its owner. And, not long after, the genius, up and coming blader of Japan, Shu Kurenai, had made his debut, Storm Spryzen in his hand. She remembers, as her eyes interlocked with his on that first day, the sense of peace and perfection that had resonated between the blader and the bey as if they had accepted each other. This was the first time she understood her life's purpose; to create this union between blader and bey, this strong connection, finding the personification of the spirits that she encapsulated in her creations.

And once again, she had experienced this inspiration. An attack-type, a stamina-type, and a balance-type had been successfully perfected by her hand, and the defense-type had appeared in her mind. She had met each of the spirits she created: the blue dragon of her dreams, the dragon personified from the gentle sun, and Spryzen, the fairy-warrior that represented her personal strength. Hydra, in its golden armor, had once again materialized in her subconscious. But never had the entities spoken until Hydra. She had understood, heard its serpentine voice, felt its presence even closer than ever before.

Maybe this was that fated language that the bladers heard when they were united with their perfect bey.

And she knew then, that this bey was hers. This connection she had, strong enough to take away her consciousness, was undeniable. The language she understood was the language of her own spirit, translated through the golden serpent which was Hydra. The next blader that was aligned with her bey was herself: Hazel Faye.

Her hands paused on the keyboard, looking at the code and blueprint she had laid out. The twisted wheel that closed the gaps in an impenetrable defense, the golden energy ring, and the ball-tip that created a balanced foundation. The design was done. All that was left was its construction.

And as she heard the voices of her teammates shout their passions on the roof of the academy, she realized that the qualifiers for nationals were open to all, not just the participants of districts. She knew her next move.

She was going to try to make it to nationals, wielding her newest bey materialized from the depths of her mind; Helia Hydra, the newest gold rush from the mines of inspiration.