Chapter Ten

Hazel was back in her seat. Her mind was buzzing with a million thoughts. But, for once, none of them had anything to do with nerves.

She knew that Shu would have no trouble winning. That old spark of confidence had returned to his eyes. What really bothered her was the events that had occurred.

Their promise. The fierceness in his expression that she'd never seen before. Hazel's fingers still tingled from his touch. She had never felt this way before. And it bothered her.

Hazel was a control freak. She absorbed information like a dry sponge because she wanted to understand every aspect of everything. That's why she was addicted to being knowledgeable. But this sensation-- this was new to her.

Why can't I keep my emotions in check? Hazel lightly touched her cheeks, and not to her surprise, they were burning hot. She adjusted her glasses and forced herself to focus hard on something to avert her thoughts.

She started to stare at Shu, who was getting ready for the third round launch.

Okay, not helping. I'm just thinking about him more now.

But she couldn't take her eyes off him. The light caught him perfectly. Shu's face looked extremely striking from this angle and his hair glimmered almost silver in the stadium lights. His face was set with a passionate determination that made Hazel even more drawn to him.

I know that expression, that feeling when you want something so badly. You can see the hours of hard work and hard thoughts. I know he understands what it is like to battle every day with everything. Just as I understand him, I know that he understands me because our minds work the same way.

An electric jolt surged through Hazel's body. She had never felt a connection with someone so strongly before. Even though he didn't glance over at her before his launch, she knew what he was thinking. Not the specific thoughts, but the aura his energy gave off.

He's going to go with his classic Counter Break this time. Orochi doesn't stand a chance this time.

No one can compete against this type of intensity.

And the battle began. It unfolded, just as Hazel predicted. She couldn't help smiling as Spryzen effortlessly burst Odax the way she'd imagined it. The crowd went wild. Apparently, Shu had won his popularity back. Hazel could hear Valt's voice blaring over even the loud fangirls.

"Our promise! The battle in the finals! You did it buddy!"

Promise, Shu mouthed. He looked at Valt and nodded, and then he glanced at Hazel.

Geez, he was able to pick me out of this giant crowd?

He smiled, a genuine, heartfelt one, not a side smirk that he usually did. Hazel's heart crashed against her chest, and she gazed away, feeling more embarrassed than ever.

And the semifinals of the Beigoma District Tournament came to a close.

As soon as the fans began to thin out, Hazel found Shu alone. She couldn't help herself and launched herself at him, holding him in a tight embrace.

"Woah," Shu yelped, surprised by Hazel's unusual behavior. "What's this all about?"

"I'm just happy that you won," Hazel replied, still clinging on to Shu. Then she realized what she had just done and quickly recoiled away from him, her face burning with embarrassment.

Shu laughed. "The Hazel I know is back," he taunted as she looked at her shoes, obviously flustered and mortified by her actions.

His tone softened. "The launcher cord you gave me really helped, I felt a lot less impact on my shoulder. But, to be completely honest, I still think I may have injured myself further. And I don't know if I can pull through to the finals."