Chapter Fourteen

It was finally complete.

Hazel's bey was no longer floating in her mind, but it was in the palm of her hand. The serpentine wheel glinted in its fresh form, the weighty defense-type holding a feeling of significance. The members of the bey club had gathered around for a moment, admiring the new creation. It was beautiful, but it had yet to prove itself in battle. So, the members continued to train together. With Shu out from his shoulder injury, Valt, Rantaro, Daigo and Wakiya made an even pairing, leaving no room for her to practice. Plus, she wasn't an experienced blader like they were; with the goal to make it to the national stage, they had no time to waste.

So she did what felt most natural, and she called up Shu.

They met in the gym after school. It was mildly busy, the people buzzing around at this time of day a common occurrence. However, every time Hazel was with him, it felt as if the rest of the world didn't matter. He was dressed casually, as he had to rest and recover, but his crimson eyes remained alert and focused.

He regarded her carefully. Even though the rest of the team had moved on from the district tournament, Shu could not easily discount the strange events that played out. He still thought of the brief rush of relief from his victory, followed by the dark, intense despair that had struck him as he saw Hazel lose her bearings. He couldn't forget that so easily.

She looked fine, no signs of poor health. Her hair was slightly messy, as usual, and he was tempted to comb down a stray lock that stuck out near the back of her crown. Her golden eyes were calm, but he could tell she beamed a little with pride as she showed off her new bey, shining in its recent construction.

"Meet Helia Hydra," Hazel said with a soft smile. Shu could tell that her work meant a lot to her, and he fought off a smile at her youthful excitement. He took the bey from her outstretched hand and began to examine it.

As usual, the details were unrivaled, the same signature craftsmanship that had drawn his eyes to Storm Spryzen. The mechanics of the bey were coldly backed by logic, yet there were artistic touches of originality that clearly portrayed to him her passion for beys, despite her trained intellect.

When he held it, he felt a strange buzz of resonance. A similar feeling in his heart as when he held Spryzen. In its cold, metallic texture, he sensed just a flash of something, of warmth, and a touch of resolve. Similar to the energy that Hazel exuded. It was reassuring, to feel the synchronicity.

Hazel watched as Shu examined the bey. She noticed how the reflection created gold flecks in his eyes.

"This bey is going to be mine," Hazel finally said. "All the other ones I created were made for someone else, and I can tell that I've found my match."

Shu looked up, seeing the determination set in her delicate face. He handed the bey back to her and asked, "So am I here to help you then?"

Hazel sheepishly smiled, scratching the back of her neck. "Well, you see, the bey club is working hard, and I knew you were injured, so if you don't mind..."

He let out a soft laugh at that. He was aware of the circumstances, but couldn't resist eliciting a reaction out of her. "You don't have to ask," he replied, and she grinned back.

They got to training again. With a solemn thoughtfulness, Hazel gripped her launcher in her hand, adjusting the positions and techniques to try out different moves. She started to voice her mind, analyzing the stadium with sharp eyes.

"Because it is a defense-type, its best position is in the center, where it has the most stability. However, due to its ball-type performance tip, it has a lot of balance, which can be utilized in its movement as well. Its strong center of gravity and pattern on the wheel will do well to deflect the opponents away, stopping their attacks..."