Chapter Six

The next match in the Beigoma District Tournament had finally arrived.

Shu wasn't nervous, even though he had a massive target on his back, being last year's winner. He glanced down at Spryzen, a dull red from the hours of training and practice. He'd been working on the left-handed launch, and could now do it almost flawlessly. But he wanted to keep it a surprise for a blader that he actually had trouble defeating. He was confident that he wasn't going to run into trouble.

Just like always, his mind was blank. He was in a zone of perfect focus. He was relaxed, but alert. His mind and body were in perfect sync. Nothing was going to stop him from victory. He was back in the same waiting room, where he was before his first match. He held his bey out in front of him when suddenly, a hand snatched it from the palm of his hand.

"Hazel."

Shu wasn't surprised that it was the peach-haired girl that swiped Spryzen. Today was a day of repetition, and she had done something similar once before.

"You've got to stop doing that," Shu chided, though there was no real anger behind his voice. "Usually people don't like it when you take their stuff without asking."

Hazel grinned up at him. Recently, she had started to become more open and friendly with the albino boy, and he was grateful.

"It was mine before it was yours," Hazel teased. "You should be thanking me for being such a genius." Shu smiled gently, and he closely watched as she pulled out pieces of equipment he'd only seen in mechanic shops. She began to polish and clean the bey, occasionally frowning at a problem that Shu couldn't see. At last, she handed the bey back, now glittering red, looking brand new.

"I see you've been training hard," Hazel said. "There's quite a bit of wear on the bey. You've practiced about 6 hours a day since our last meeting?

Shu gazed at her, slightly shocked, but he recovered quickly. "You never cease to surprise me. I always forget that you're smarter than you look."

"Are you saying that I look stupid?" Hazel mocked, adjusted her glasses.

"Occasionally." Shu grinned at her expression.

"I would knock you out right now if you weren't about to battle."

"We can't have that happening."

Their conversations went like this. Slightly teasing, but the two were still trying to figure each other out.

Hazel was always frustrated by Shu's mixed signals. Sometimes he was playful and funny, sometimes he was serious and closed-off, sometimes he showed no emotions at all.

Humans are harder than computers, Hazel thought. At least computers usually make logical sense.

"Well, thanks for the bey maintenance, but I'm due on stage." Shu's voice snapped her out of her trance.

"You better win or I'll look bad," Hazel retorted.

Shu just raised his eyebrows like he was saying, is that the best you can do?

"I won't let myself lose, don't worry." The confidence in his gaze never wavered. "I'll be back with a win."

And Hazel watched as he stood up and walked through the tunnel and into the stadium. Once he disappeared, she walked out of the room to join the crowd.

"Hi, Hazel!" Valt greeted her when she arrived. "My battle's next! I'm facing off against Daigo and his Doomscizor!" Daigo regarded her with a nod.

"That'll be interesting." Hazel wasn't that interested. Her eyes were completely focused on Shu on stage with another blader. Based on her research, there was a 0.003 percent chance that his opponent would win, but she was still nervous. Don't be nervous, she chided herself. Why should I care if he wins or not? Because we're friends, that's why. Yup. Hazel clenched her fists and intently focused on a head in front of her so she wouldn't convince herself that she was lying to herself.