Chapter Five

It was time to meet the bey club.

Hazel didn't usually associate herself with many people. She had acquaintances that she'd say hi to in the halls, or occasionally start a conversation of idle chatter with. But never a true friend. Something told her that these bey club members, who shared the same passion with her, would connect to her in a stronger way.

"You can't let yourself grow close to anyone. Friendship is often the barrier between success and failure."

The words her parents once said. She used to listen to them obediently, and follow their words like the law. A few years ago, Hazel would've never thought she'd ever get a close friend. But, for some reason, today the idea of friendship made her feel rebellious like she wasn't under the influence of her parents anymore. Success isn't happiness, Hazel told herself, as she walked through the door leading to the roof.

For a second, the light of the sun blinded her, but as her eyes adjusted, she could see figures crowded around the beystadium on the roof. Her eyes first saw Shu, his white hair exceptionally blinding in the harsh sunlight. Her eyes traveled across the other top bladers of the school. She'd never talked to any of them, but she knew more about them then they could ever guess. Not because she was a stalker, but because she had analyzed the bladers and their beys with great precision.

Sometimes, Hazel could get a little shy. With her amount of exposure to human interaction, it wasn't difficult to understand why. Human emotions can easily be overcome, she thought. Just imagine they are all pieces of code that contain unique data and try to decipher them in a logical manner. She assumed this wasn't normal, but without hesitation, she headed in their direction.

The first one that saw Hazel was blonde and dressed tough, but she recognized the softness in his eyes. He was sucking on a lollipop, and the sphere bulged out of his cheek.

"Are you Hazel Faye?" the boy asked, taking a step closer to the girl. At first, she was slightly taken aback, but she pulled herself together quickly and nodded.

"Yes, that's me."

"Cool. I've heard a bit about you. Who would've guessed that you were some sorta super-genius, huh? Oh, by the way, my name's Rantaro Kiyama, but you can call me--."

"Just call him Rantaro." A boy with a red bandana holding up his dark hair stepped out from behind the blonde. He wore black clothes with purple accents and skull beads dropped from his bandana. He looked super serious, and Hazel was a little intimidated.

"Aww, lighten up, Daigo!" Rantaro whined. "You're such a buzzkill sometimes."

Now the other members had taken notice of the girl. They stopped what they were doing and focused their attention on her. Shu acknowledged Hazel with a look and turned to the other members.

"Guys, this is Hazel. She is a Beyblade analyst and she's really smart with beys."

They all greeted her and introduced themselves. Hazel had no trouble remembering their names. Naturally.

The short blue-haired kid was Valt Aoi. She had seen his match when she went to watch the tournament. He had a close match with Rantaro Kiyama, the blonde boy with the lollipop. They were both full of energy, which was refreshing. But Hazel was sure that pretty soon, it would start to be annoying. Daigo Kurogami, the serious dark-haired boy, was actually nicer than he appeared, and he was calm and steady, which rivaled Valt and Rantaro's personalities. Ken Midori was one of the more memorable people Hazel met. He was dressed in bright green and his face was void of emotion. He must've been pretty shy because when he spoke to her, he used ventriloquism to speak through two dog puppets on his hands. Then, there was Wakiya Murasaki. He was tall with long, blonde hair, and he wore all purple from head to toe. Although he was cocky and arrogant, Hazel found his attitude amusing. The bey club sure was a wide variety of people.