In the world of smoking chaos

Trigger Warning: Bullying (mainly instances of homophobia)

Shipcoln, 2018 AD

"Oh my god, we're all gonna die..." a soft panicked voice, too small to be heard, with the owner of it trembling and crouching under the desk had been saying the same seven words ever since they'd come up here.

"No, we aren't," another voice replied, this one sounding more composed and elegant.

"But, if you keep on moving your leg like that, we might." Another composed voice added on.

"Dude, he's about to faint." Someone mentioned, and they all looked at the first speaker, who had become paler than usual.

However, the story does not start here.

Two weeks ago.

It was a usual day for Desmond, who stepped into the bookstore, no sweat present anywhere on his body, and although he had been running as fast as he could, he was not panting.. His stature was of a relaxed person, but he was in a hurry. Yet, he would never break his routine, just because he was late for school. Although it did not matter to him if he learnt anything at school, it would help him take his mind off everything, and that was the only reason he was even trying to bother going.

"And I'm assuming you finished the two classics you bought yesterday?" The shopkeeper, who happened to have the name of Jake, looked up as Desmond entered and smiled, just as Desmond turned his gaze upwards.

"I did." He nodded his head enthusiastically. "And the rest too."

"Alright." Jake smiled softly. "There aren't any new books here, but I have ordered a few books just for you, and they will be on their way. I must ask, young boy, why do you not order it online?"

"Sir, I would, but it is not as fun as entering a bookstore, with the small allowance in your pocket, the note crumbling in your hand when you grip at it hard enough, letting the excitement flood through your veins at the sight and smell of thousands of books around, and the sight of the tourists and bookworms standing still, yet in a relaxed position as they flipped through the pages, deciding if the book was worth the effort, and with a kind word, asking the cashier to register the purchase, and then skipping away, while you kept on staring at the numerous books for sale." Desmond paused. "Buying it online surely does not impart the feeling."

The man looked amused and intrigued. "Wise words, young one." He smiled at Desmond, before standing up, and walking around the shop, Desmond following, his nose greedily taking in the smell of the hundreds of thousands of books around, most of which he had already read, and some that he would never like to input into his brain.

"Well, you have this book here," Jake told him as he took a hardbound book from the gothic fiction genre, and Desmond nodded with a nod of his head. "It may have the themes that you probably would do better without, but the book talks about how a person's character is defined by the people they hang around with, and" The old man put the book into his hand, a smile on his wrinkled face as he looked at Desmond. The latter was standing in a very attentive position, a friendly smile on his otherwise blank face. "I think you'd like it." The man completed.

As the man seemed to not make any motion to go back to his desk, Desmond tilted his head in confusion and looked around to see if any of Jake's helpers had come as early in the morning, but when he saw nobody around, he turned to look at the man, his face screaming volumes about his confusion, but he saw that the old man had a huge grin on his face.

"Take it as a birthday gift from me, Desmond." He grinned widely, before putting his arms around Desmond, who responded with the same action.

"You didn't have to do that." Desmond looked almost embarrassed to take the book for free. "But my birthday..." Desmond spoke awkwardly, while the man simply chuckled.