CHAPTER SIX

WAX

WAX

It was a tight squeeze in the truck with Carly and Ginny stuck in the middle of the two men, but the space wasn't the real issue, not with the god awful smell and animal feet waving around their heads.

Carly held a hand to her nose before turning to her boyfriend "Can you roll the window down, please?"

"Yeah." He tried, but the window didn't budge.

"Sorry about that." The man shurgged "Truck's seen better days."

Wade raised an eyebrow "Do you mind rolling down your window then?"

"Not at all."

Ginny gave the man a slight smile once he'd down so "Thanks for this, we really appreciate it. I'm Ginny, by the way. This is Carly and Wade."

"Name's Lester." He smiled, showing off his stained teeth once more "So, you never really answered my question. About Ambrose... you heard of it?"

"Er, yeah, actually." Ginny admitted through a deep breath as she spared Carly a glance "I think I was born there."

The couple looked to her in disbelief and Carly couldn't but scoff. Another secret.

"Shit, for real?" Lester eyed her in interest "Well, it's not a bad place to come from. It used to be a pretty nice town... before the interstate came in." He paused as he noticed Carly nudging Ginny, eyeing up the weapon holstered at his side "You like knives? tools of the trade, ya wanna see?"

"No, not really."

He ignored Carly as he pulled out the blood stained blade "It's a bowie. That'll cut through anything."

Ginny gasped as he suddenly thrust it into the dashboard before screetching to a holt. Wade cursed quietly before eyeing him suspiciously as they stopped before the waterlogged road "What's going on, man? You said there was a town up here."

"Well, yeah, there is." He pointed ahead "It's just around that bend. I gotta flip my hubs into four-wheel. You mind giving me a hand?"

"When's the last time that you where here?" Carly questioned as Lester paused, halfawy out the door.

He chuckled humourlessly "What, you don't believe me? I forgot this way in's washed out, that's all."

"We'll walk the rest of the way then." Wade spoke up before Ginny could "Thank you. You've done enough."

"Now, why would you wanna do that?"