Chapter 8: Arrogance - III/IV

Bold = on the screen

'Bold italic w/ single quotations' = thoughts from screen

"Bold w/ double quotations" = dialogue from screen

Regular = whats going on, people watching

'Normal italic w/ single quotations' = thoughts of people watching

"Normal w/ quotations" = regular dialogue

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After stroking his ring for a while, Jiang Cheng compelled himself to withhold his hostility. As a sect leader, he had things to consider. He couldn't be as impulsive as Jin Ling was. After the decline of the QingHe Nie Sect, the GusuLan and LanLing Jin were quite close due to personal relationships between the two leaders. Leading the YunmengJiang Sect alone, he was already in an isolated situation between the three. Lan WangJi, or Hanguang Jun, was also a formbile cultivator, while his older brother Zewu Jun or Lan Xichen was Sect Leader. The two brothers had always been close, so it was best to not openly dispute with Lan WangJi.

Jiang Fengmian made an impressed noise, "Wonderful and quick break down, A-Cheng,"

Jiang Cheng nodded, "Thank you, Father,"

Also, Jiang Cheng's sword, Sandu, had never made actual contact with Lan WangJi's Bichen. It was unclear whose hand the deer would die on. Although he owned the powerful ring Zidian, a family heirloom, Lan WangJi's zither, 'WangJi' was also known for its abilities. The thing Jiang Cheng hated most was to be disadvantageous in a fight. Without complete confidence in his success, he wouldn't start a fight with Lan WangJi.

Lan WangJi should not have felt as smug as he felt.

Jiang Cheng slowly took away his left hand, ceasing his stroke of the ring. It seemed that Lan WangJi was determined to take part in this matter, so it would do no good if he continued to play the antagonist. Jiang Cheng made the decision to, for the time being, owe him a favor, turning to Jin Ling, who was still covering his mouth angrily, "Hanguang Jun wants to punish you, so just let him do it this one time. Its not easy for him to discipline juniors from other sects,"

His tone was sarcastic, but it wasn't clear who he was mocking. Lan WangJi never fought to win his way with words and looked as if he didnt hear anything. Jiang Cheng's next words were bristled with thorns, "Why are you still standing there? Waiting for prey to come and throw itself onto your sword? If, today, you don't catch the creature hunting Dafan Mountain, don't come to me ever again!"

Wei WuXian felt nostalgia curl around his heart.

Jin Ling threw Wei WuXian a tough look, but was too scared to look at Lan WangJi, the one who had silenced him. He put his sword back in his scabbard and saluted to the two seniors and retreated with his bow in his hands. Wei WuXian stared after him, watching the golden robes vanish into the forest.

Lan SiZhui spoke up, making Wei WuXian pay attention again, "Sect Leader Jiang, the GusuLan Sect will return the exact number of spirit binding nets that had been destroyed,"

Jiang Cheng sneered, "No need,"

He glanced at Wei WuXian briefly as he turned, heading in the opposite direction calmly. The man who had come after also followed after his sect leader. Wei WuXian's fingers twitched to run after, but his feet stayed rooted to the ground.

Jiang Yanli frowned, "A-Xian...A-Cheng..."

Both boys flinched at her tone, heads turning far from one another. Jiang Yanli's frown deepened.