Chapter 9: Arrogance - V

Bold = on the screen

'Bold italic w/ single quotations' = thoughts from screen

"Bold w/ double quotations" = dialogue from screen

Regular = whats going on, people watching

'Normal italic w/ single quotations' = thoughts of people watching

"Normal w/ quotations" = regular dialogue

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wei WuXian could feel his mood rising and falling. He didn't understand why his parents had decided to show his life, to give him a second- third- or is it his fourth? How many chances had he got? And how many more people died because of him?

His thoughts- his secrets, were kept away for a reason. Because he knew- oh god, he knew so well that he could destroy so many things and could hurt so many people. He does not want them to know- he does not want them to know that the Wei WuXian they've always known is hardly the true Wei WuXian. He does not want his husband- the husband who tells him everyday how much he loves his smile and laughs, to realize how much of what he love's isn't even genuine.

He has lost so much but he is aware that his thoughts could cost him so much more.

His fingers curl slightly in his sleeves, glancing up at his parents and everyone around him, all who are focused on the screen once more. He needs to stop this array...he needs them to understand the risks exploiting him entails.

He looks at the four juniors, he wants to keep something...to be selfish just once more.

Wen Ning's head was slightly lowered and his arms hung down, as if he was a marionette waiting for the orders of his master.

His face was pale and delicate, and could be considered handsome in a melancholy sort of way. However, there were no pupils in his eyes, but only a flat cloud of white, along with a number of crackling black lines which climbed up his face from his neck, so the melancholy turned into a frightening gloom. The lower hem and sleeves were ragged and torn off, showing a pair of wrists that were the same ashen shade as his face, with black cuffs and chains on both his wrists and ankles. The tinkling sound he produced when he dragged the iron chains on the ground. If he stopped moving everything would be silent again.

Wen Ning stared at himself with wide eyes. He had seen his reflection a couple times, but not like this. Not when he wasn't aware of his surroundings. A shiver suddenly ran up his back as he grasped that he would be seeing himself perform acts he had no memory of doing. He glanced at the man in gold he had killed. If things were to go the way CangSe Sanren and Wei ChangZe kept hinting at, he would see himself doom his older brother by killing Jin ZiXuan.

Wen Qing, unaware of the self-deprecation her youngest brother was swirling through, clenched her fists tightly, "What....did they do to you?"

Wei WuXian's flute had slipped to his fingers so he could use it to fidget and as a precautionary measure. Watching the state of Wen Ning once more made him frown in frustration, his fingers curling tightly around the black bamboo.

It wasn't hard to guess why all the cultivators were scared out of their wits. Wei WuXian wasn't any calmer than any of them either. In fact, the storm in his chest had already crashed on top of his head!

They could all feel it, the overwhelming terror and disbelief. The cruel slap to the face as Wei WuXian realized Wen Ning was alive.

Lan WangJi worried slightly about whether he would be able to maintain his own control as he felt every single thing Wei WuXian had gone through. A pit formed in his stomach as he recalled that they would dive into the past as well. Would he survive feeling the pain his words inflicted on his beloved unintentionally?