Chapter 17

The New Mona Lisa: Scratches.

"Is that all, Professor?" I asked, ready to leave.

"Not quite, Perseus-"

"Percy, sorry. Old habit." I interrupted, then realised it probably wasn't the best way to act around a headmaster. Not that it'd stopped me before, but this time, I was here to stay.

"Of course, my apologies. Now, I suspect you have a few questions." Dumbledore stayed calm, probably used to such things.

"Just one or two, y'know.'' I replied, in a light, joking manner. "Like, for example, why doesn't anyone know I exist?

"Ahh, right into it I see. Well, during the war, wizards and witches needed a saviour - someone they could label as a hero, and that, of course, was to be either you or Harry. When you were a new-born, I visited you often, and tracked your progress in magical and muggle skills. I saw the great amount of potential in you, but I believed, and still do, that it shall be used for a different cause. There was also the case of your behaviour. This includes your tendency to get into trouble easily, which shouldn't have been obvious in such a young child, yet it radiated off of you in large, powerful waves. Your twin was calmer, less troublesome, well behaved - the kind of person people believe should be the hero. So I told everyone about Harry - I spread the news of a powerful new wizard, but left you to live a normal life. Though Harry may have been the one to defeat Voldemort, you have a different destiny - one that I shall train you for."

I stayed silent for a moment, processing everything that I had just been told. Dumbledore was right, of course: Harry was perfect for the role and I wasn't. I could live with it, in fact, I preferred it the way it was. Maybe it was selfish, but I was glad that I'd been left in the shadows, and Harry had to learn to deal with the limelight. I continued thinking about the way the headmaster's choice had affected my family's life, when suddenly, I realized something.

"A different destiny?" I asked, puzzled. "One that you would train me for? What in the name of Hades could be that important?"

"There are many evils in the world-" I snorted: of course there were! If anyone was to know that, it would be me! "-And I believe Voldemort may be one of them."

I paused for a second, then tilted my head to the side. "Why would you tell an eleven year old child, with no magical knowledge, that?"

"There are things that certain people should know, and things that should be kept a secret. Like this matter, for example, cannot be spoken about outside of this room. If anyone was to hear about it, it would cause a nationwide panic, and, more importantly, make us lose our advantage." The old headmaster explained this in a serious, expectant tone.

I nodded.

He was right.

"Now, Percy. Tell me a bit about you." I shot Dumbledore a questioning look, at which he added, "Your experiences in school, your relationship with Harry, why you haven't relaxed even for a second and how you know the ins and outs of this office already."

I opened my mouth to speak, not expecting the last topic. I had made sure to make my actions as subtle as possible- no one should have been able to notice them, yet the supposedly delusional and crazy man before me had.

How interesting.

I noticed the slight smirk on the headmaster's face - he looked proud of himself and fascinated, very fascinated.

"I dunno what you're talkin' 'bout." Playing dumb was my best option. Not even the first day and I was already busted. "I was just lookin' around at all the..... odd things you have."