Nineteen

"I can't believe I have to have another week off," Mallie groaned as she looked at her laptop. She was on a video chat to Arizona and April, who both had a day off from their jobs in New York and wherever April had moved to. Mallie could never remember the name of the place.

"You had brain and abdominal surgery. One week off is not enough recovery time," April said.

"But I'm fine," Mallie sighed. "Let me see my nieces," she added.

"Sofia, come and see Mallie!" Arizona called.

"Harriet, baby," April cooed.

Sofia and Callie's heads popped onto the screen, as did baby Harriet's.

"All my girls!" Mallie grinned. "How is everyone? Sof, mija, how's school?" she asked.

"Muy bien, tía Mallie," Sofia grinned.

"That's brilliant! Harriet, how is learning to share your toys going?" Mallie smirked at April, knowing Harriet was a little toy thief from the stories she and Jackson told her.

"Better," Harriet smiled.

"Perfecto, princesa," Mallie smiled.

"How's Mallie's life going?" Callie teased.

"Mallie's life is okay," Mallie said. "Uh, we have a new fire captain, Michael Dixon, who used to be a cop. Also looks a bit too child-friendly, but you didn't hear that from me," Mallie smirked.

"Lovely," Arizona giggled.

"How are things with Calzona?" Mallie said.

"Calzona, really?" Callie said.

"Spill," April grinned.

"We're, uh, back together," Arizona said, holding up hers and Callie's intertwined hands.

"Yes! Called it!" Mallie whistled. "Wait until I tell everyone. I am so excited," Mallie grinned.

"At least she's happy," Callie laughed.

"We're here to celebrate the life of Ryan Michael Tanner, to honor his sacrifice. A police officer's job can give us so much..."

Mallie zoned out, staring at the coffin holding Ryan's body. He had been shot by a three year old and, if Mallie was honest, that incident itself felt like the world had flipped around on its axis.

Amelia tightened her grip on Mallie's hand, making her look at her.

"You okay?" Amelia whispered.

"It's just insane that a kid killed a police officer. What the fuck is wrong with the world?" Mallie whispered back.

"I know," Amelia sighed.

The gunmen started firing the traditional twenty shots for the fallen officer and Mallie sighed.

"Third funeral this year. How many more people can die before Christmas?" Mallie whispered.

"We've got a month. Don't jinx it," Amelia whispered.

"It's, uh, been a month since Saffie disappeared. The babies would be five months," Mallie whispered.

"Yeah. She could find out the sexes," Amelia whispered.

"Fifty bucks it's identical twin boys," Jack whispered from beside them.

"Fuck off, Gibson," Mallie whispered. "We're the worst people. Who talks about babies at a funeral?" she whispered.

"Us," Amelia and Jack whispered.